Server Downed

Ashoat

First of all, let me say that I'm very sorry about the recent hack. I generally am very wary about server security, and this is the first time our server has been compromised. I am unsure of what trick the hackers used, but I will be stepping security even further up than I have in the past.

Turns out hardware issues were the real culprit. More on this later in the topic.

Now for the good news. Everyone's files, data, and settings are intact. Nothing's been lost. You should be able to login to cPanel just like you did in the past.

One final note. Nothing's been lost today, but if there is a next time we might not be as lucky. Everyone should backup their data regularly just in case. This can be done in just a few clicks from the Backups section in cPanel.

Again, I'm sorry about the recent hack and sincerely hope we can prevent it from happening again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great to hear news from djbob again.

I thought Helio has been closed down without any reason, like those noob hosts I used in the past.

Again, welcome back, and hope Stevie is still on the run, as strong as before.

*NOTE: FTP isn't functioning for me.. is it just me or something's wrong with FTP server?

Sorry about that last few hours of downtime. There was a configuration issue after I added a few security measures.

As for FTP, the anonymous FTP has been disabled - you are now required to use a username and password to establish an FTP connection, so that hackers can't use it as an attack vector.

It's typical for me to think that the hacking could have been caused by me, as I get paranoid and stuff.

I did write some provocative stuff on my blog directed to an AltMed community in Norway, but AltMeds don't know a thing about computers - AltMeds usually threat the host provider with legal action when they see something they don't like, so this wouldn't be their style.

Well... I never use anonymous ID to log in my FTP account.

Weirdly, it works now.

Thanks.

*Ever plan to send email to notify members to come back? Some of them doesn't know server has recovered.

Oh man! So thats what happened. I remember coming over here to update my page and BAM... nothing.

Thank you for your hard work djbob and thank you for all the time Im sure youve been putting in getting

the server back to functional statis, I felt lost without this place. :wub:

If we do get rid of spammers, I'm sure we do get rid of members too.

And some of them maybe tired of the server downtime without knowing why and when,

so they went for another hosting.

Well... it's all up to djbob.

It's typical for me to think that the hacking could have been caused by me, as I get paranoid and stuff.

I did write some provocative stuff on my blog directed to an AltMed community in Norway, but AltMeds don't know a thing about computers - AltMeds usually threat the host provider with legal action when they see something they don't like, so this wouldn't be their style.

The hack was almost certainly caused by script kiddies playing around. Offering anybody hosting-level access to a server is very dangerous and opens a lot of attack vectors. One small security hole probably caused it.

I would say that security issues are probably the main reason that most free hosts don't last more than a few months.

Hooray!!!

I was beginning to wonder if you'd just gone off without telling anybody, but then one day I went on the site and it said it got hacked, but then the next few days it was offline again. Was it someone with an account with heliohost, or just a randomer?

Hah, the first time someone decided to look at the online help files I have on my website and heliohost has been hacked :(

Was it someone with an account with heliohost, or just a randomer?
I have no clue. Whoever it was gained access to the server and as such was able to erase any methods I would have of tracing him or her.