Server Downed

Ashoat

I don't know if it will help but I registered my domain on http://mon.itor.us and the site tracks when your site goes down and will email alert you. I could send you the weekly and or monthly stats if it would help, or I could forward all the problem and recovery emails to ya.

I just am trying to think of ways I can help, I don't know if you've got better or more precise ways of tracking it when it's down though.

Hope you can figure out what's wrong with it! And thanks for the great support, most paid hosting companies wouldn't be as transparent about the issues as you've been now and in the past.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had a remotely similar problem (although on a windows machine)

check if the server is somehow overheating. the overheating of the different silicone pieces make charges drop off. these charges may be data or commands making segfaults and even stoping the os dead in its tracks.

Well, scratch the memory idea. It's not a memory issue.

Warranties don't work on software issues.

That's right :lol:

Hopefully these problems will be solved :rolleyes: try to think a little bit different - not conventional maybe it will help, sometimes the most simplest solution is the best - It sounds stupid but sometimes you are trying to find a really hard problem and you "forget" to look at the easy ones.

In the last couple of days the site (helionet and heliohost + my site-not so important...) were more often down then up and running :(

Hopefully you will find a solution and things will return to normal

Good luck and thanks for the service

Well, scratch the memory idea. It's not a memory issue.

Warranties don't work on software issues.

Oh so its definitely a software issue.... Getting everyone to back up their stuff, then formatting the server, and reinstalling it? Just give everyone a couple weeks to back up and it should be sweet.

Hi;

I've been paying close attention to this thread for the last couple of weeks, so I know a little bit about what is happening.

First a little back story:

I did have an account (Dynasty30.heliohost.org) before the server switch back on October 14, but did not use it and in turn I just let it dissolve.

On October 25th, I signed up for a new account (DynastyHell.heliohost.org) and received the standard no-reply e-mail. At that point I knew it took a few days for the account to be officially activated.

As of now, November 8th, my account still does not seem to be activated and I was just wondering if this has more to do with the server problems that

are currently occurring and to just be patient or if my account request has just been mistakenly overlooked.

Thanks for your time.

jL

I don't think that's fair to the users that no longer use the email they signed up for, don't check their email often, or are away on vacation or something.

It's not fair, that's for sure, but on the other hand they will benefit from the format of the disk as all the down time they have right now is much worse then the re-format of the disk...

Just let them know in any way you can - an announcement on the Forum, on the Main page -heliohost - and a mass email are enough to let everyone know that something will happen in the next couple of days. I think that the majority of them are already visiting the main heliohost page everyday to check out what are the problems and so they would read the anouncement and would do the back-up...The ones who do not check the main page or the forum regularly just risk to miss some important announcement and thus it is their own failure...

In the end it wil help all of them more then having a page that is 75% of the time down, because of an issue that could be solved by re-formating the disk.

It's cruel, maybe, but if it helps it is a good solution. But it is only my personal opinion. Good luck.

Srry for not such a great english :-)