[Solved] Suspended: basko

Is there a way to get exim logs to figure out what happened?

Also curious about the wording, is it unlimited (hypothetically) number of emails to the same 50 recipients per day?

Not that I'm looking to game the system, just trying to figure out what triggered the suspension.

-Peter

is it unlimited (hypothetically) number of emails to the same 50 recipients per day?

1 mail per recipient, either 50 mails to the same recipient or 1 each to 50 recipients. Total 50.

Basically, 50 is 50. Dosnt matter if they are all in the To area or forward area or 50 different emails. 50 is 50.

Not sure if Krydos can get logs on this or not.

As for 50 emails, pooks answered that. It can be 1 message to 50 people, 50 emails each to 1 person, or any combination. Doesn't matter how it's sent, once 50 people receive something, number 51 gets you suspended.

We used to do 50 emails (with unlimited recipients), but phishers started sending 50 emails to 100 people each to make sure their phishing got out, so we started counting recipients instead of actual messages.

You sent too many emails.

Don't know what I did to deserve the attitude. Could have saved yourself the time of writing that.

50 emails in and out in a day is not normal traffic for my account, so either something has gone wrong or I'm compromised.

If anyone would like to be helpful that would be appreciated.

Spambots usually. The bots are probably trying to sign up for comments or forums, causing activation emails to be sent. Similarly, they sometimes are seen abusing a contact form, etc. Botproofing these features, or just turning them off if you don't need them, will help with this.

If you run something like Wordpress, it's possible that it got hacked. Hacked WP is a common cause of this here. The hackers who hit WP usually set up either a spambot or a phishing site. The best solution for hacked Wordpress, is to not use Wordpress. It's infamous for terrible security.

You sent too many emails.

Don't know what I did to deserve the attitude. Could have saved yourself the time of writing that.

To be honest, thats Krydos. He practically runs this place. He gets stressed out and is known for his smart remarks. Don't take it personally.

In any event, to echo what Krydos said, the exim logs would probably just show what he already said but with a lot more unnecessary detail.

As to helping you fix your issue, what wolstech already said rings true. If I use WP, I use it off site (WordPress.com) so it won't affect my main website. WordPress is a hated software here. If you use something else, no biggie, just not WP. Lmao.

Maybe I interpreted your message wrong. My impression of your posts makes me think that you're looking for loopholes to be able to send more emails than you're allowed to, or that you knew you were sending too many emails but you didn't expect to get caught, or you're implying that our system is broken, or something along those lines.

I went through the logs for you. Looks like they're all from either Tom, which I assume is you, or Liza. I think between the two of you too many emails were sent on one day, and the limit was exceeded. Quite a few of the emails have multiple recipients, which as was explained above counts as multiple emails. If you send 1 email to 2 people our system counts that as 2 emails, etc. As far as I can tell nothing on our end is broken and none of the emails you sent look suspicious to me.

Ok, thanks.

I'll let the users know.

Is there a way to limit traffic per user from my side to avoid suspension?

If you need the email limits raised to a higher amount, just let the root admins know.

Make sure to include:

1. About how many emails you would be sending out

2. General content of the email (mainly the most common emails being send out).

I'm not sure if there is anything else, but I'm sure a root admin will let you know.

As for limiting bandwidth, I'm not sure you can. If your using WP, they might have a plugin for it.