[Solved] Blocked IP

MauroF

My ip address is 2.238.78.104. I was experimenting with STFP and I'm afraid this caused my ip to be blocked. Could you please unblock it? Thanks in advance

P.S. Is it possible to whitelist this address? It's quite inconvenient to always ask for manual unblock

Unblocked.

What are you doing that's getting it blocked? There's not much to really mess up on SFTP. Username and password are always the same as cPanel, and additional accounts are not supported (they have to use plain FTP on port 21).

Unblocked.

What are you doing that's getting it blocked? There's not much to really mess up on SFTP. Username and password are always the same as cPanel, and additional accounts are not supported (they have to use plain FTP on port 21).

I probably did some login attempts with one of the accounts I've created for testing (because I thought you could use them). Also before I tried a couple of times with command line mounting but apparently it only supports pubkey authentication, so that was some failed attempts. Is it possible to upload my public key or only password is supported?

Yes actually, you can use a public key to login to SFTP without a password.

You have to generate the key with putty. Here is a good guide https://www.ssh.com/ssh/putty/windows/puttygen

Once you have your .ppk file open it with a text editor and look for the text block between Public-Lines: and Private-Lines:. Copy/paste that text.

On cpanel use the file manager to create the directory /home/username/.ssh/ Then in that directory create a new file named authorized_keys. Edit the file and paste in the text from the .ppk file. At the beginning of the first line add the text "ssh-rsa" and a space. You also need to remove all the line breaks that putty puts in there. It should all be one long line of text.

Optional: You don't have to do this but I always label my public keys. For instance, "work computer", "laptop", "phone", etc so when you look at this authorized_keys file later you know what each entry is for. To label it just put the text at the end with a space before it so it looks something like this

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAQEAs11AscHG+MC3Plr32hCWFBHTUwsJaODUcxOLFurSZXOW3d0hUdKbNvWWRh1NPJoxB/gNtDkXz1TB14Ex4PMSvsy9Hn2kYmgRZDPiGGd5K/K91sbcTsSHF15r9+gpf6tsiZO7kAdrFj8nCNYBOJSPvMnrdjKjlkn0OUh6eOqjtFy//ov0Kkk/ys0+wCyh/3YTIpFYJgkQdgTvvzuBToucXyD2/CY8aEn/pT+wqsvMrh/7p/6lVDx1zq5wqgzdUjDSmmmBIZuwVbx+dWnhpQKHKPCo2R0GoT6ce4/OLKNmwkV2CcP8tOdnVB8LqMgmfqCjXZgt701ZvNf/e+UK0A4jSQ== laptop
Then in filezilla open the site manager, and load up your SFTP settings. Under logon type instead of putting "normal" select "key file". Then click browse and click on the .ppk file that you created earlier. If you did everything right you can now login without a password.