How to protect folder and its child files

Hi, I'm developing a website in PHP. What I need is some mechanism to protect a folder called profilepics from being accessed by any user in the world. There are users' profile pictures there and I don't want them to be seen or downloaded. How can I do this magic? Thanks.  :unsure:  :rolleyes:  :D

Just put a blank index.php in there and users visiting the folder will see a blank page instead of a file listing. They would need to know the full path including filename to see anything.

If you actually block access to it with something like htaccess, the users who do need to load those pictures as part of your site will be unable to do so.

Just put a blank index.php in there and users visiting the folder will see a blank page instead of a file listing. They would need to know the full path including filename to see anything.

If you actually block access to it with something like htaccess, the users who do need to load those pictures as part of your site will be unable to do so.

That's not a bad idea entirely, but... How can I block this folder access via htaccess? Is it possible?

You can password protect any folder you like by logging into cpanel and then right click on a folder and choose "Password Protect"

password-protect.png?raw=1

or if you'd like to view your files without using a password you can use htaccess to only allow your ip address using this code:

order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 100.60.222.111

Where '100.60.222.111' add your ip address.