[Solved] DNS problem

Guest h4ckd0wn

Guest h4ckd0wn

Hi,

I am having a DNS problem with my domain kanboard.ml

I get
;; rcode = REFUSED ;; QUESTION SECTION (1 record) ;; ;kanboard.ml. IN ANY ;; ANSWER SECTION (0 records) ;; AUTHORITY SECTION (0 records) ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION (0 records)

@Krydos: This is an ongoing issue. cPanel won't let you add the domain claiming the name servers aren't set...even though they are. It never propagates (I had one guy wait almost a week). Only once I manually park the domain for the user does the DNS propagate (and it does so within the hour).

Eu.org is the worst affected, but I've had a few other freenom domains like this do the same thing.

The issue is that our name servers return REFUSED instead of NXDOMAIN like they should. The REFUSED code keeps the registrar from propagating the records for some reason. If you take a look through the past week or so, you'll see me manually parking a bunch of these for this issue.

Guest h4ckd0wn

@Krydos It's as the main domain, I changed it today

@fasouza well it's more that heliohost's nameservers refuse to answer DNS requests for kanboard.ml and thus dig tools give the REFUSED or SERVFAIL error

@wolstech The nameservers are correctly set you can check whois

Edited by h4ckd0wn

I know. I can see them set here: https://bybyron.net/php/tools/dns_records.php?domain=kanboard.ml&rec=NS

My experience has been that a registrar will not propagate NS records for a name server that sends REFUSED as a response. The REFUSED code is meant for when a server wants to refuse to provide an answer at all, as opposed to answering the query but saying "I don't know about that domain" (NXDOMAIN). 

Our NS should be returning either a valid zone, or NXDOMAIN if not known/parked. If I manually park the domain (or manually create a zone file for it), the REFUSED goes away and the server will return a valid zone. Once I do this, the DNS propagates across the internet, usually within the hour. What I don't know is what's causing the server to send that REFUSED back for some domains but not others (which correctly return NXDOMAIN).

I can't think of any good reason our servers should ever return REFUSED as it currently stands.

The main problem is that domains usually don't propagate well (if at all) while being answered as REFUSED, yet the domain needs to propagate so it can be added and stop being refused. As a result, the only fix I've found is for an admin to manually park it (which bypasses the DNS check) unless you use as the main domain.