[Inactive] Trouble installing Wordpress (new account)

stpete

To those who run HelioHost and HelioNet, support it, and help with questions, thanks from a new member.

I applied only for an account for "production web page hosting" (perhaps not exact words, but that was the idea), and my new account was made available to me today (Apr 1, 2020) on the server Johnny. I didn't request for PHP programming, databases, etc., because I don't think I'll need any of those things. I don't think I'll use e-mail here either. Although I hope to use Wordpress, I intend to minimize CPU, RAM use, etc, by keeping the website small, having few (highly rated) plugins, keeping it secure, keeping it up to date, and not running cron jobs. I anticipate low bandwidth. I mention these things after looking for a solution to my problem, and reading warnings about Wordpress from the Admin. It appears that it is allowed here, and made available, and I need it for charitable purposes, so I'll do my best to keep it from causing anyone any discomfort resource-wise or otherwise.

My problem is, I have tried three times to install Wordpress (latest version, custom install for security purposes) through Softaculous, and each time, the installation progress bar stuck at 95%, and after a few minutes, a pop-up message indicated a time-out or connection lost. I can't seem to find a log in my directory to find out in more detail what went wrong. I would be grateful for any assistance. I tried Google-ing it, and didn't find anything useful that way.

Best wishes to everyone.

Edited by stpete

This is most likely due to load issue on Johnny. You can upload a WordPress installation from https://wordpress.org to cPanel, unextract the zip file and try installing it that way.

Keep in mind that WordPress has a high load usage, bad code and is prone to attacks so you need to avoid using it if you can and stick to something like Joomla or Grav.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I have invested a lot of time into Wordpress, so I would only switch if I really had to. I spent a bit of time looking into the issue of bad code in Wordpress, and what I found all concerned bad plugins. If it is alright that I use Wordpress here, I would make sure to use only top rated plugins from trustworthy sources. If that's not ok, or if it's very risky, please let me know now. I want to follow all the rules, and not get my charity's web page suspended after it's all set up and in use, by doing what I think/hope is innocent and safe.

I applied only for an account for "production web page hosting" (perhaps not exact words, but that was the idea)

Johnny is the exact opposite of a "production web page hosting". Johnny is really only for experimenting, such as setting up wordpress for the first time, and making sure it all works. If you intend anyone other than you to visit your site we recommend switching to a production server like Tommy. Over the last week Johnny, your server, has had 92% uptime, and Tommy has had 100% uptime. Tommy is also much faster because he is not overloaded like Johnny is. A Tommy account can be kind of tough to get though for free. Today free signups on Tommy filled in 0.263 seconds so you have to be really really fast to get a Tommy account for free. The other option is to make a donation, and an admin can move your account from Johnny to Tommy for you. Let us know if you need help with anything.

Also, it sounds like you already know, but keep an eye on your load if you use wordpress. I've seen a well written site with 200 GB of traffic per week cause less load than a wordpress site with 200 MB of traffic per week. It's ridiculous how much wordpress can slow down a whole server.

• 2 weeks later...