[Solved] Is Hotlink Protection Causing Internal Server Errors?

lorenzol

Is Tommy Server having Internal Servers lately or is it just me? So anyway I enabled hotlink protection and deployed a Laravel application yesterday. Everytime I load the site, it took like 20 seconds just to load the site. My internet connection's fine. After loading, I refreshed the page and it loads faster (pretty sure it's the browser cache) I cleared the cache and loads the page again. Still loads after 20-30 seconds, if it goes beyond that, it displays Internal Server especially if I keep refreshing. I waited couple of hours because I thought maybe Tommy was at its high load at that moment.

After that, it still loads slow and shows Internal Server. I checked my .htaccess, lots of lines containing

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$ RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www.)?my-website

by Hotlink Protection

and there I suspected maybe it was the Hotlink Protection. I disabled it today and boom! Everything's fine, refreshed few times and still loads quite fast. 

Posting this to confirm if enabling hotlinks caused this. If it is, I apologize for causing these errors. 

PS. The application isn't heavy since it's just static UI and no for loops or whatsoever

Edited by lorenzol

1. Hotlink Protection? That could be the reason that everyone’s on Tommy server kept getting a 500 internal server error. I appreciated that you disable it for now.

2. Wordpress? I highly recommend it that you should never ever run Wordpress onto our servers if you already install it and that’s also making Tommy server really slow (you’re not actually). WP is just really badly written, It's the number one cause of weird errors, suspensions, and even Phishing bans. (usually when the hackers set up phishing on your account) A 500 error with WP is almost always due to installing defective, bloated, or simply too many plugins. It’s really terrible and it throws in a lot of errors and also a lot of hacks. We have a lot of users were running a Wordpress a few days ago and yesterday too, that caused Tommy server go really slow and receiving 500 internal error message sometimes. We warn them not to be installing Wordpress when Tommy server is still having trouble getting back to normal.

3. It could be /tmp is full again but actually it’s not currently at the moment since the databases, suspensions scripts, etc, etc is still alright. Also, sometimes we don’t know how much users have been installing a weird files that could caused the server running really slow and receiving 500 internal server errors and also /tmp gets filled faster sometimes, which it got happened a few days and we fix it already.

Those things I listed above, please keep in mind to yourself not to be installing anything like that to make Tommy server go really bad. Thanks for your understanding!

• Like 1

Is Tommy Server having Internal Servers lately or is it just me?

We've had a few complaints about this lately. It seems the main cause is high load caused by people using too much memory. We've been working to fix this, but it's a very delicate balancing act of literally hundreds of variables so it can take some time and some experimentation to see what works best for the current list of websites being hosted. Thanks for the feedback. If you find that Tommy is no longer suitable for your website you could consider going to a VPS where you would have the entire server to yourself and you wouldn't need to worry about other users causing high load and 500 errors. https://www.heliohost.org/vps/