[Solved] Problem: port 465 with SSL cannot be used to connect to SMTP server mail.vaninf.heliohost.org

vaninf

Dear Administrators,

When I tried to send an email with JSP I got this error message:

javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: mail.vaninf.heliohost.org, port: 465; 

Previously it could be used to connect.

Could you please fix it.

Thanks.

Can you try changing the hostname to tommy.heliohost.org and see if it sends? The server's domain is the officially supported domain for mail and should be used for other reasons anyway, most notably Tommy reports itself as tommy.heliohost.org when another mail server connects to it, so using that domain to reach it is preferred.

If that doesn't work, I'll have Krydos look at it.

Port 465 for SMTP means you're using SSL. Tommy's used the same SSL certificate for over 300 days. Yesterday I found out that Tommy's year long SSL certificate was partially invalid because it was signed using that root certificate that expired on May 30th. It actually caused an issue with a mail script of my own not being able to connect to Tommy anymore even though tommy.heliohost.org in a browser wasn't showing any errors. I updated Tommy to use a new valid certficate issued by Let's Encrypt. You can see that the SMTP certificate is valid with this link https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=tommy.heliohost.org:465 If you can't make your script work with the new SSL certificate you could try without SSL/TLS on port 587.

Still get this:

javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: tommy.heliohost.org, port: 465; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1961) at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:654) at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:317)