[Solved] Request for VPS

badrihippo

Hi,

I tried ordering a VPS via your form, but I was having some trouble with activating PayPal subscriptions, so decided to send a direct payment instead. I'd like the lowest-end VPS, namely:

• 1GB memory
  • 2CPUs
  • 50GB storage

I have sent in $9, which I think will cover 2 months? If this works out, I'll try a larger payment, maybe for 1 year.

• Transaction ID: 88E56858JW8967519

I sent a bit extra since I wasn't sure if all of it would reach you. If there's extra, I guess you could use that as donation :)

Before you create the VPS, I have one question: I already have an existing setup on Tommy. Would I have to close that down and set it up again on the VPS? Is there a way to move it across? Or is it fine to keep both operational for a while?

Thanks in advance!

It's fine to keep both your Tommy account and the VPS at the same time. To transfer your Tommy sites to the VPS I would use a temporary domain like hippo2.heliohost.org. You will need to install a webserver on the VPS for sure. Also I'm sure you probably use php and mysql so you'll need to install those too and anything else you'll need. I recommend using apache for your webserver on the VPS because that is what Tommy uses, and if you switch to nginx it may take some changes to get your site to work. Using apache you should be able to just copy your files over and it'll just work. Then when everything is functional on your temporary VPS domain, you can switch your main domain over to the new server with no downtime. If you need help with any of the above just ask.

I'll start setting up your VPS now.

Sounds good. Thanks a lot! And yes, please use hippo2.heliohost.org for the VPS for now. I have other domains which I'll point later, but it'll be good to have a base domain to start with.

I'm mainly using Python on the server (Flask and Django). I'll install those and mysql. I'm planning to set up YunoHost to manage a few additional apps—I think that uses nginx? Maybe I'll just reconfigure my apps for that; there's nothing major anyway.

I run Linux (earlier Ubuntu, now Manjaro) on my desktop so I'm somewhat experienced in setting up software, although not a server specifically. I'll let you know if I run into problems. Thanks again :)