What would happen if...

... you had a tank full of easy ignitable fluid, and through the bottom of that tank there's a thin pipe that goes to a tank of oxygen. There's enough pressure in this tank to make a steady stream of oxygen bubles appear in the other tank. The pipe has ventilation that prevents fluid from passing through the pipe.

Would it be possible to make the oxygen bubles begin to burn in the tank filled with ignitable fluid?

Promised that there's enough pressure in the first tank (filled with ignitable fluid) to cause high temperature

that's possible

For instance, if you ever look into the engine that uses diesel rather than normal fuel

The process occurs inside the engine requires no spark, but just extreme high pressure by piston to raise up the temperature and ignite the diesel.

(Pressure high = temperate high)

High pressure does cause high temp, but that wasn't what Ivar was asking. He was asking if oxygen could burn, and if one were to raise the pressure enough so that the fluid would catch, the whole thing would burst into flames... not just the oxygen.

if one were to raise the pressure enough so that the fluid would catch, the whole thing would burst into flames... not just the oxygen.

If that was the case a lot of it would catch without contact with oxygen, is that possible?

I'm mainly just wondering whether you could get gases to burn in liquid.

It's absolutely possible, but I don't think that's much practical to be use.

Like I said, in diesel engine, there's no spark required to ignite the diesel, it's just using high pressure.

And if the bubbles of oxygen you used to pass through the liquid form fuel has enough temperature,

the fuel will be ignited by burning the oxygen.

HOWEVER, I think the flame will follow the path of the oxygen into the tank full of oxygen,

and cause huge explosion, which is not practical.

Just piece of comment (as an undergraduate engineer), correct me if anything wrong.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Oxygen is a fuel, not a spark. Wouldn't work.

I second that!

I third it. Wow you people are smart :blink:

Oxygen can be raised in tempurature, but I don't think you can actualy 'burn' it.

Don't take my word for it though

EDIT: here is a good resource for oxygens flammability: click here

I second that!

Oxygen can be raised in tempurature, but I don't think you can actualy 'burn' it.

Stop bringing back old topics. This thread is 5 months old.

I second that!

Stop bringing back old topics. This thread is 5 months old.

:unsure: but it's so quiet here... nothing else has new posts :unsure:

I don't mean to necromance or whatever it's called. I still haven't adjusted to the fact of how small these forums are. I realy need to stop posting so much...or just move on back to yoyogames forums...

• 3 weeks later...
if one were to raise the pressure enough so that the fluid would catch, the whole thing would burst into flames... not just the oxygen.

If that was the case a lot of it would catch without contact with oxygen, is that possible?

I'm mainly just wondering whether you could get gases to burn in liquid.

Pump methane into water from below and you have it... ...that is, if you have the right concentration and the right amount and the right temperature etc.

• 2 weeks later...