I'm back

Ashoat

We don't get enough traffic for lighttpd to make a difference. Our problems stemmed from an incorrect setup.

17 000 accounts and not enough traffic?

No. We don't need to handle tens of thousands of simultaneous connections in parallel, and cPanel doesn't like it.

Note that most people do absolutely nothing with the space and get no traffic.

• Reinstate account auto-deletion script (was taken off due to some problems with the script).
  • Shorten inactivity period required for deletion from three months to one month.
  • Force all existing account holders to request that their account be preserved. Kill all accounts that are not requested to be kept within a month.

• Place more intrusive ads on the HelioHost home page.
  • Place more intrusive ads on users' cPanel pages.
  • Ask users to complete surveys when signing up, the profit from which would go to HelioHost.
  • Ask users to join a mailing list when signing up, which would solicit them with offers and advertising. The profits would go to HelioHost.

I would say, let's go for these options.

We should definitely clear out inactive accounts to free up some valuable resources, even if we go on with the virtual hosts option.

And I don't think anyone would mind some ads on their cPanel pages.

Also, although having some intrusive ads on HelioHost home page would make it look bad, I really think it's totally tolerable considering the potential income it offers; and the ads could be implemented in a neat way without sacrificing the page design totally.

why not dig into the apache httpd source code and get it to read a bunch of .htaccess files located in some secure folder every um 4 hours? (Instead of reloading the whole http.conf file.)

There are also a large bunch of inactive users in the forum too.

I already linked to a much better solution, and djbob pretty much has decided on going with it.

Sorry I missed that

Are you allowed to dig into cPanel's source code? if you are, you could consider

- remove unnessesary whitespace ( ~5.5 KB ) for example: <a href="someurl" onclick=" dosth()" >

- remove indentation and line breaks ( ~2 KB)

- remove that 'nice' sliding animation of sidebar

- move those css present in the html in to external file (so that it gets downloaded only once if the user visits the control panel home often)

- remove drag-n-drop

- remove top banner backgrounds and icons

better to provide a theme with all these changes seperatly

I can help in removing markup if you want.

• 3 weeks later...

I strongly suggest you introduce tiered hosting plans. That's how most free hosts work, and there's a very good reason for it. People will pay for more space and bandwidth. You could make new accounts more limited, like other free hosts, but keep the previously existing accounts at their current full featured status.

Other ideas worth considering:

Try to prune enough existing accounts to reopen signups. Possibilities to achieve this goal:

* Reinstate account auto-deletion script (was taken off due to some problems with the script).

* Shorten inactivity period required for deletion from three months to one month.

* Force all existing account holders to request that their account be preserved. Kill all accounts that are not requested to be kept within a month.

Do this first, but be generous. Forget forcing all existing users to request their account be preserved, that's a dick move and will spread more ill will, and once you lose a customer's trust, it's gone forever. When is the last time you deleted accounts? If it's been more than a year, just delete accounts that have been inactive for 6 months or more. If that doesn't free up enough, then 3 months or more, and only if that doesn't free up enough should you shorten the inactivity period to one month.

Try to secure financial support of a non-profit nature. Possibilities to achieve this goal:

* Try to get somebody to donate a new server. A new server would be able to handle new signups, and as such we could reopen signups. However, a new server would require more cPanel licensing fees and probably more colocation fees. We could also apply point #2 to the new server, but this would require even more licensing fees. Ideal places to ask for free servers: datacenters, hosting companies.

* Try to get somebody to give us free colocation. Colocation is now taking more money than any other single cost for HelioHost. The best option would be to have colocation in the Seattle area, because this would mean I would be able to service the server more directly. Ideal places to ask for free colocation: datacenters, organizations with datacenters.

* Try to get somebody to donate cPanel licenses. cPanel licenses are a major cost to HelioHost, especially if want to try point #2. I have asked cPanel for free licenses, but they are not willing to provide us with them because we may be hosting commercial sites. Ideal places to ask for free cPanel licenses: cPanel executives, cPanel license resellers.

You never know what you're going to get until you ask, so go for it! People might surprise you. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Sorry for being invisible, life has been "interesting" the last few months. Between working long hours and having serious health issues heart, I have been untouchable. But, I am working my way back into life, and this is a big part of my life.

So, now you will have to put up with me more often. To the new folks, howdy and we will get to know each other. To the spammers getting onto this board, [bleeped!] you I am kicking you as fast as I can.

Animal

...Who are you?

• 3 months later...

Old topic, I know.

Well, if I had something to share, I'd do it.

I've seen a lot of downtime the last couple of months, but after reading the latest news, I understood why.

Well, new servers are not cheap, but they're needed.

I hope You'll find someway to get new servers.