[Solved] Fixing VPS rDNS

maicol07

Yeah, Krydos needs to set that. What is the domain name that the IP should resolve to?

Well, I have two domains, each of them has some email addresses. Which of the two is correct to be resolved from the IP?

Reverse DNS can only be set up for one domain and one IP. The idea is to be able to lookup the domain using the IP. If you want to have reverse DNS work for both domains you would need to buy an additional IPv4 which we can provide for $1.50 per month.

It apparently takes a long time for our isp to update their dns records, but they finally delegated reverse dns control to me for your ip. Here you go:

# dig +noall +answer -x 64.71.153.4
4.153.71.64.in-addr.arpa. 85960 IN      CNAME   4.0-15.153.71.64.in-addr.arpa.
4.0-15.153.71.64.in-addr.arpa. 14400 IN PTR     battistini-impianti.it.
Let me know if the mail tester still complains about reverse dns. I wasn't sure which domain you needed set for your mail setup so I just picked one. It's easy to change though.

So, I requested DeGroot delegation, and they set it up with RFC2317 delegation by mistake. Either one works, but all of our other ip blocks are set up with DeGroot so I wanted to keep everything the same and organized. When I pointed out the mistake they apologized and are now changing the delegation style to DeGroot for me so the reverse dns might stop working when their system updates. Just a heads up in case it works for a while and then stops again.