Copyright question

esn024

I've made a site where users can select subtitles to put over top of films (old and new) that are uploaded to Youtube, even when there are no subtitles on the original Youtube video. The subtitle files are stored on the site (ranging from 10-60kb each).

My question is, would I be able to host my site on HelioHost, or would this concept break the "no copyrighted material" rule in the ToS? I'm not sure, myself.

As long as it doesn't contain any copyrighted material. If it does contain copyrighted material make sure you have permission from the copyright holder to use it. For reference here's our terms of service

https://wiki.helionet.org/hosting/terms

Be sure to read through them, they're very short and simple, to make sure you aren't violating the terms.

I'm not sure, though. I read this article about it and I'm still not sure. The videos themselves would be embedded from Youtube from the original channels (or public domain), so it wouldn't affect the market value because any original ads placed on the channels would still show up (in fact it should, on the contrary, add more views to those videos).

Should I just try it, and move my site to another host if I get any complaints from anyone?

I'm not sure, though. I read this article about it and I'm still not sure. The videos themselves would be embedded from Youtube from the original channels (or public domain), so it wouldn't affect the market value because any original ads placed on the channels would still show up (in fact it should, on the contrary, add more views to those videos).

Should I just try it, and move my site to another host if I get any complaints from anyone?

To my knowledge, captioning a video isnt against any rule. Ive seen tons of people caption videos on youtube, that isnt even their content, as parody.

Take what I say with a grain of salt tho, as it would be wise to consult an attorney first if you really feel this would be against the law.

Well, the first thing is always have to ask the YouTube owner channel for permission to see if they're gonna allow you and your visitors to add subtitles in their videos. If they decline, ask them if they would be willing to allow crowd-sourced captioning.

This setting lets users edit YouTube’s automatically generated transcript to create captions for free. Note, however, that this means you need to personally edit (or check the quality of) those captions for adequate accuracy. If the owners do not want you or your visitors adding the subtitles or doing anything their videos then don't do that. It is legal to transcribe and add captions to YouTube videos that don’t belong to you and it is under circumstances of fair use.

• Like 1