[Solved] Internal errors and timeouts

DrDark

Hi, I've just begun using HelioHost and already seems a lot better than my previous webhost.

But I've encountered a few issues from time to time with a few hours delay, and then it lasts around 10-15 minutes.

First of all I sometimes Internal Server Error when I try to reach my website, and get told to contact the server administrator, and something about a 500 Internal Server Error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Then I also sometimes get told my website timed out and it doesn't want to load, though I don't have a screenshot of that page.

I'd be glad if you could help me find out why this happens, and hopefully solve it.

Are you on johnny?

If so, this is normal as the server itself is used mostly for testing and code there causes lots of downtime.

With this being said, you have three options:

If you want to move, follow instructions here:

https://wiki.helionet.org/accounts/moving-your-account

Or

You can donate $1 or more and get your account moved to tommy without any downtime here:

https://heliohost.org/donate

P.S.: if you decide to do this option, please post the transaction ID so admins can verify

Or

If you decide to delete your account but dont wanna wait for midnight utc to signup again, you can donate here:

https://heliohost.org/tommy

I'm assuming the user drdarkdk is you. If your username is something else let us know.

The main cause of intermittent 500 errors and timeouts is because you're on Johnny. This server is an experimental server, which means he's not intended for production websites. The main purpose of Johnny is to cram as many accounts as possible onto one server so people can experiment and get their sites set up. Then once your done experimenting you can move to Tommy for the uptime and speed. 500 errors and timeouts are because the load is high at the time, and this is really common on Johnny. His uptime over the last week is only 95% which is pretty normal. That means 5% of the time he has a 500 error or times out. In comparison Tommy has an uptime of 100% over the last week. That means he hasn't had a single minute of downtime in that entire time. This is pretty normal for Tommy.

Jenova beat me...

• Like 1

Yes, I'm on Johnny, and thanks for explaining the downtime.
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I did wrong.

And yes I'm Drdarkdk.

The main purpose of Johnny is to cram as many accounts as possible onto one server so people can experiment and get their sites set up.

Does this mean it's dumb to move to Tommy before I'm done making updates?
Will I meet any restrictions regarding updating, if I donate and move to Tommy?

Thank you for the replies by the way.

It is to your advantage to experiment on Johnny because the threshold to get suspended for high load is basically nonexistent. That's part of the reason the uptime isn't great because there are thousands of other accounts causing high load and downtime for everyone else. It's a lot easier to get suspended for high load on Tommy because our main goal on that server is to keep the uptime as close to 100% as possible. If can be kind of frustrating for people to find their site suspended, especially if they donated to be on the server, but no exceptions are made for donors or even admin. Pretty much all of the admin have either been suspended for high load or came very close at least once, myself included. It's not the end of the world if you do get suspended though. Just request an unsuspension and try to make some adjustments to prevent it from happening again. If you click the button labeled "Account Load" in cpanel you can see a graph of your load for the last 7 days.

I'm assuming the user drdarkdk is you. If your username is something else let us know.

The main cause of intermittent 500 errors and timeouts is because you're on Johnny. This server is an experimental server, which means he's not intended for production websites. The main purpose of Johnny is to cram as many accounts as possible onto one server so people can experiment and get their sites set up. Then once your done experimenting you can move to Tommy for the uptime and speed. 500 errors and timeouts are because the load is high at the time, and this is really common on Johnny. His uptime over the last week is only 95% which is pretty normal. That means 5% of the time he has a 500 error or times out. In comparison Tommy has an uptime of 100% over the last week. That means he hasn't had a single minute of downtime in that entire time. This is pretty normal for Tommy.

Jenova beat me...

Is there a chance you could move my website to the Tommy server instead?

Johnny became too much for me already, and I doubt I'll get high enough load to get suspended... At least I hope so :P

Paypal Transaction ID is 20454542939506174

Edited by DrDark
  • Like 1

Hello Root Admin

I'm on Ricky (and have been for several years). Usually it's fine but over the past few months I've noticed many of the same issues reported by Drdarkdk. The last day or two has been especially bad in terms of unresponsiveness. So I was wondering if a similar explanation applies to Ricky that you gave for Johnny (mainly experimental, cram a lot of users onto it, lots of downtime, etc).

My domain is https://daskunk.heliohost.org/

Thank you for any insight or explanation you can offer.

Hello Root Admin

I'm on Ricky (and have been for several years). Usually it's fine but over the past few months I've noticed many of the same issues reported by Drdarkdk. The last day or two has been especially bad in terms of unresponsiveness. So I was wondering if a similar explanation applies to Ricky that you gave for Johnny (mainly experimental, cram a lot of users onto it, lots of downtime, etc).

My domain is https://daskunk.heliohost.org/

Thank you for any insight or explanation you can offer.

Krydos seems to have solved this. He shared some information with me about a single user causing A LOT of Load/CPU. It was at 100% for like a whole week. This person has been suspended so Ricky should be a lot smoother now.

Thank you for looking into the problem with Ricky and I appreciate the help. I did notice some improvement yesterday, however there still seems to be an issue with serving HTTP requests. I'm still getting lots of time outs when attempting to access web pages on my site. The monitor is showing longer response times with HTTP.

Thank you again for any assistance you can provide.

Ricky seems to be down again. Does anyone know when it's expected to be up again?

You posted this at 05:11

79a70a6f61753969dbd325597dea0a13.png

Ricky was actually up when you posted, but 9 minutes before you posted there was 6 minutes of downtime so I guess that's what you are talking about?

Our goal for Ricky is to have 98%+ uptime, and right now he's at 97.53% for the last week. Obviously 99%+ would be better, and we're a little lower than I would like Ricky to be. We're actually testing a new custom high load suspension script that should reduce the number of load spikes on Ricky right now, so it's still in the process of being calibrated. Prior to this we were using cPanel's load monitoring which is rather lacking.

You've probably heard this a million times, but if Ricky's uptime and speed aren't good enough for you we strongly recommend transferring your account to Tommy. Even when Ricky's uptime is 99%+ he's quite a bit slower than Tommy. For comparison Tommy's uptime over the past week is 100%. Not a single minute of downtime.

EDIT:

Ahhh, one thing I see that's a big problem on Ricky right now is his response time

fb73cd94b6e2f084f51833d6ebc0881e.png

4.1 second average response time is really slow, even for Ricky. I'll see if I can figure out what is going on with that.

Edited by Krydos
added response time