[Solved] VPS slow (and CPU at 100% during operations)

maicol07

Actually your VPS is the problem right now. You're causing 95.42 load, Johnny is 148.24, and the problematic VPS was at 79.30. For a comparison the rest of the VPS on the server are less than 10.

Mmm... will se tomorrow what's causing the problem...

@Krydos I think I've fixed it with a reboot. Now the average load is around 4/5.

I've tried using atop and iotop and it seems the disk is one of the problems. Will the new disks coming in January/February after the fundraiser help?

Update: Now CPU is mostly of the time at 100%...  with a load of 17/20. Will upgrading the CPU cores help?

(I'm looking at mysql now, which seems causing the issue)

Edited by maicol07

Yes, the hard drives are definitely the slowest part of your VPS, and that's why we're doing a fundraiser to buy faster ones. Mysql does a lot of reading and writing to the disk too. I'm not sure why your CPU usage is so high though. Generally if the hard drive is being slow that actually causes the CPU usage to be lower since it's just waiting for the data to arrive. If you don't mind an hour or two of downtime I could try moving you to a different hard drive to see if that helps. Make sure you take a backup of everything if you want to try that. Copying files should be fairly safe, but you never know. Let me know if you want to try it.