Hey admins

Sffreesy

Hi admins,

I have a FTP problem after my IP got blocked because of 'wrong password' interruption many times.

In fact, my FTP account password is actually correct and considered by FTP clients as right password, such as FileZilla, but after authorization, clients can't retrieve listings, then my IP is blocked.

Note: Only FTP; SFTP works right without public_ftp folder.

Note 2: *I think* that WebDisk also rejects my correct password.

Note 3:  Admin Kydros answered me that my IP isn't blocked, My IP *WAS* blocked, thanks to admin Byron, my IP was unblocked.

My question is: Why my FTP service doesn't work, SFTP responds without public_ftp folder, How does this problem lead into IP blocking ,what's happening?

This can help you, it's from FileZilla:

Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/" is your current location
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (65,19,141,67,252,181)
Command:    MLSD
Error:    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:    Failed to retrieve directory listing
Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/" is your current location
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (65,19,141,67,215,240)
Command:    MLSD
Error:    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:    Failed to retrieve directory listing

How can you all help me? 

Thanks for your hard work everyday.

Edited by Sffreesy
more clarifying

11 hours ago, Sffreesy said:

Note 3:  Admin Kydros answered me that my IP isn't blocked, My IP *WAS* blocked, thanks to admin Byron, my IP was unblocked.

It's possible that if your IP was blocked less than 15 minutes before you posted it hadn't showed up in the firewall yet.

11 hours ago, Sffreesy said:

Note: Only FTP; SFTP works right without public_ftp folder.

FTPS has historically never worked right on our servers. TLDR: Use plan FTP or FTPS.

If you care, the reason is because the Linux kernel is supposed to be compiled with support for FTPS where the FTPD software can tell the kernel I'm using this port for passive FTP, and then the kernel in turn tells the firewall to allow that port, but that all doesn't work right. I think the problem is the kernel we use, but I'm not going to compile my own kernel from source to add support for it. I'd rather just use the package manager and not have to worry about compiling a new kernel every few weeks each time a vulnerability is discovered or whatever.

I have managed to create a workaround for FTPS recently that allows it to work, but the problem is cpanel keeps overwriting my configuration files, and then breaking it again. I checked on Johnny and FTPS wasn't working for me either, but when I fixed the config and restarted FTPD it's working now again. Unsure for how long it will work. It might be the updates that keep overwriting it.

FTPS timing out doesn't cause your IP to be blocked. Using the wrong password or username does. For instance your SFTP username is sffreesy, not Sffreesy, or sffreesy@sffreesy.heliohost.us or anything else. Only sffreesy works. Using the wrong username would cause your IP to be blocked if you tried too many times.

14 hours ago, Krydos said:

It's possible that if your IP was blocked less than 15 minutes before you posted it hadn't showed up in the firewall yet.

FTPS has historically never worked right on our servers. TLDR: Use plan FTP or FTPS.

If you care, the reason is because the Linux kernel is supposed to be compiled with support for FTPS where the FTPD software can tell the kernel I'm using this port for passive FTP, and then the kernel in turn tells the firewall to allow that port, but that all doesn't work right. I think the problem is the kernel we use, but I'm not going to compile my own kernel from source to add support for it. I'd rather just use the package manager and not have to worry about compiling a new kernel every few weeks each time a vulnerability is discovered or whatever.

I have managed to create a workaround for FTPS recently that allows it to work, but the problem is cpanel keeps overwriting my configuration files, and then breaking it again. I checked on Johnny and FTPS wasn't working for me either, but when I fixed the config and restarted FTPD it's working now again. Unsure for how long it will work. It might be the updates that keep overwriting it.

FTPS timing out doesn't cause your IP to be blocked. Using the wrong password or username does. For instance your SFTP username is sffreesy, not Sffreesy, or sffreesy@sffreesy.heliohost.us or anything else. Only sffreesy works. Using the wrong username would cause your IP to be blocked if you tried too many times.

Thanks for replying!

This is satisfying answer, but:

1.My forum account is an external account and not linked with my HelioHost account as you restructured the forum.

2.Can I fix the problem or wait until you solve it?

3.Y'know, I have realized that my IP was blocked because I was using WebDisk to open public_ftp folder; Sorry for that.

4.About Question 2, Is it a general issue or just my account issue.

And thanks for everything!

It's a general problem that affects everyone. The fix is to simply tell your FTP client to use either plain (unencrypted) FTP or to use SFTP. The only connection type that we don't support is FTPS ("FTP over TLS").

34 minutes ago, wolstech said:

It's a general problem that affects everyone. The fix is to simply tell your FTP client to use either plain (unencrypted) FTP or to use SFTP. The only connection type that we don't support is FTPS ("FTP over TLS").

Thank you again!

I like your (all admins) rapid service 😉

16 hours ago, Sffreesy said:

1.My forum account is an external account and not linked with my HelioHost account as you restructured the forum.

It won't affect you, but in the next few days I'm going to upgrade the account creation process to create an account on the new forum instead of the old forum. So all new hosting accounts will have a matching forum account.

18 hours ago, Krydos said:

It won't affect you, but in the next few days I'm going to upgrade the account creation process to create an account on the new forum instead of the old forum. So all new hosting accounts will have a matching forum account.

Way to go!😉