[Solved] Request Moving account from Tommy to Johnny (temporarily)

cridus

Hello, I use Java on Tommy so I'd like to be moved to Johnny until the Tomcat upgrade is done.
Will my account and settings be identical once on Johnny? Or will I have to set up something?

My username on Tommy is still "cridus".

Thanks.

• Krydos changed the title to Request Moving account from Tommy to Johnny (temporarily)

Shoot, I've looked up how to migrate to Tomcat 10 but I need a new version of my framework which will come in 2022... I'm screwed.

Tomcat 10 switches from javax libraries to jakarta ones. It breaks the compatibility with frameworks that still use javax ones.
I've read that Tomcat 9 is feature-equivalent to v10. @Krydos Do you specifically need to upgrade to v10?

It is generally understood that the Eclipse-Foundation-enforced namespace switch in Jakarta EE 9 is a huge breaking change that will take years for the ecosystem to broadly adopt. That's exactly why many product providers chose to release two versions in parallel, e.g. Tomcat 9 vs 10, Jetty 10 vs 11, and also Hibernate Validator 6.2 vs 7. Each respective pair of releases is largely feature-equivalent, just differing in the package namespace that those releases work with.

The plan was to upgrade to the latest stable version possible. Obviously we don't upgrade Tomcat very often because it usually takes a complete rewrite of all of our code to make it work. I suppose we could upgrade Tommy to 10 and leave Johnny at 8.5 for a while until enough people are able to rewrite their code to support 10.

Thanks. But anyway, since 9 and 10 are feature-equivalent and the only difference is the package name of the Java EE libraries, which will break the compatibility for a lot of people, why not use version 9 for the time being? It's not like it's a "worse version". It might actually be the better one right now.

I had someone else PM me about this upgrade potentially breaking things as well. I agree we should not upgrade to 10.

Considering Johnny is meant to be the test server, I feel like it would make more sense to upgrade Johnny to 10 instead and maybe put Tommy on 9.x, especially since 9 is mostly backwards compatible and 10 isn't.

• Like 1

• Krydos locked this topic