So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

HelioHost

A few hours ago, with absolutely no prior warning, cPanel unexpectedly revoked all of our licenses, and are now trying to charge us over $17,000 per year to renew them. Obviously since we're a non-profit funded by donations we don't have anywhere near that money to pay their ransom. If you try to log in to cPanel it will give you errors and not let you log in. It looks like FTP is still working though so we strongly recommend you log in and recover your files that way while you still can. We've been a faithful cPanel license holder since 2005, and over the past 16 years we haven't had any issues with them at all until today. Our servers are all inexorably intertwined with cPanel/WHM and all the customizations and systems we've written over the years are worthless without cPanel. We're not entirely sure what we're going to do at this point.

EDIT:

Please read this next

Edited by Krydos
added link to next news
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Just now, dalrae said:

Why do you think this happened?

There's no official explanation that I'm aware of. cPanel can choose to provide licenses or revoke them, and looks like today it was the latter. Definitely unfortunate for everyone involved though.

1 minute ago, Unknown025 said:

There's no official explanation that I'm aware of. cPanel can choose to provide licenses or revoke them, and looks like today it was the latter. Definitely unfortunate for everyone involved though.

When HelioHost was created, was it gifted licenses from cPanel?

Do you know if this happened to any other hosting sites?

1 minute ago, dalrae said:

When HelioHost was created, was it gifted licenses from cPanel?

Do you know if this happened to any other hosting sites?

I believe HelioHost had a discounted cPanel license due to its nonprofit status (so not free, but not $17,000/year - I could be mistaken though). As for if this has happened to other hosting sites, no idea.

this has been an unfortunate situation to lean on right now, I hope this will be addressed soon and I also hope cPanel will hear us out.

Logging in shows an error but FTP and Webdisk still works, so you should go backup all your data while we still can.

this screenshot is NOT sponsored by Dashlane, flaz

Screenshot_2021-07-15-09-18-49-97.thumb.jpg.7844bcbfc8002fa617bc8f57b24a00b2.jpg

2 hours ago, Unknown025 said:

I believe HelioHost had a discounted cPanel license due to its nonprofit status (so not free, but not $17,000/year - I could be mistaken though). As for if this has happened to other hosting sites, no idea.

Well it was free for us, cPanel non-profit licenses are issued at a one time activation fee of $30 and then it remains free upto the term cPanel grants the use of the license. Moreover, you can have upto three non-profit licenses per organization, and for us those three covered the licensing of Johnny, Ricky and Tommy. Cody runs cPanel DNS-only, which is free. You can read more about the non-profit licenses here - https://input.cpanel.net/s3/non-profit . I wonder what cPanel is up to.  

2 hours ago, HelioHost said:

cPanel unexpectedly revoked all of our licenses, and are now trying to charge us over $17,000 per year to renew them

it seems to me that for such cases plan b is needed, for example, an alternative for cpanel under a free license