So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

HelioHost

32 minutes ago, Dave Zachariah said:

When can we expect the servers to be back online? I had a very important project hosted over there

It's hard to estimate because we've never installed Plesk before. It may take some time before we can have everything set up correctly. What server are you on? Tommy will be switched over first.

17 minutes ago, PF4Public said:

Are we expected to register again as Plesk is installed or are existing accounts preserved?

We will be transferring the existing accounts so you won't need to register again.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Krydos said:

It's hard to estimate because we've never installed Plesk before. It may take some time before we can have everything set up correctly. What server are you on? Tommy will be switched over first.

We will be transferring the existing accounts so you won't need to register again.

We are currently using the Johnny server for hosting our project

On 7/15/2021 at 1:59 AM, Unknown025 said:

I believe HelioHost had a discounted cPanel license due to its nonprofit status (so not free, but not $17,000/year - I could be mistaken though). As for if this has happened to other hosting sites, no idea.

I've seen it happen years ago with the hosting company I used back then. They too switched to Plesk and never looked back.

5 hours ago, shivarajbohara said:

How can i reactive my helio host c-pannel please

23 hours ago, Krydos said:

CPanel is no longer available, and never will be again. You can't update your website right now. It would cost $942.50 USD to activate the cPanel license on Johnny. I suppose you can donate $942.50, but even if you did I wouldn't want to give it to those jerks. It would be much better spent buying a whole new server or something.

is tommy ok? or still in process?

the site is up but no access while i press to log in to the plesk and brings me here, also the mails don't work i removed them temp till fixed and stop my outlook asks for password repeatedly. Also the site is through cloudflare. Please if we need to do a connection to your dns servers if changed let us know. I admire you going through this and i know you do your best! Something i wanna ask, when signed contract to cpanel it was clear that did mention that their policy could change any time? if they not then... you can go legally. The last year many got the same issue but they claim signed for life time and not limited... so the talk with hosts you buy plans got the same and lately escalated and call it "ransomware" behavior. I don't saying "hey the did it in purpose and broke an agreement" it is what i suggest to look at this in case you can expose them.

20 minutes ago, ecitygr said:

is tommy ok? or still in process?

the site is up but no access while i press to log in to the plesk and brings me here, also the mails don't work

We're going to try to do a zero downtime transfer for the Tommy accounts to the new Plesk server. It looks like it might be possible, and we'll make an official news post when we know for sure that it will work.

• Like 1

Hello everybody, i want to give many thanks to all equip that are working hard for fix this problem and i want to  say that i think you are doing all things great!!!, my websites are running and not downtime for now... and you send me very soon a backup to my mail and news that explain what was happend...I am very happy and grateful, I promise to send some help as soon as this is over and it is possible for me, again thank you very much !!!

https://www.whtop.com/directory.control-panels

Any estimate on the timeline for ricky?  If it'll be a while, I could cobble together a short "howto" outlining how I've been managing my ricky site via sshfs.  It will only work for folks using linux desktops, but if it encourages anyone to leave the Evil empires of Cupertino and Redmond, all the better!

-Jeff

• Like 1

• Krydos locked and unlocked this topic
On 7/30/2021 at 12:06 PM, jnorden said:

Any estimate on the timeline for ricky?  If it'll be a while, I could cobble together a short "howto" outlining how I've been managing my ricky site via sshfs.  It will only work for folks using linux desktops, but if it encourages anyone to leave the Evil empires of Cupertino and Redmond, all the better!

-Jeff

I would love to see that guide. 

I don't have any experience with Linux nor a Linux desktop... but I have a quasi-brand-new Ubuntu with Hestia VPS (with HelioHost, of course!), so I do have a Linux box.

I may put that guide to good use, I've been kind of struggling to set everything up OK, and would love to see some practical examples and tips.

I've been using CapRover on my server and it's been working a treat. Lots of one-click installs that actually work rather painlessly, many of the apps are more up-to-date than cPanel. Had me wondering if it might be possible to set up a PaaS where each user's in a container. I'm sure it already exists somewhere...

4 minutes ago, kendo said:

I've been using CapRover on my server and it's been working a treat. Lots of one-click installs that actually work rather painlessly, many of the apps are more up-to-date than cPanel. Had me wondering if it might be possible to set up a PaaS where each user's in a container. I'm sure it already exists somewhere...

I took a quick look at this, this is like Cloudron, without the restrictions, but the only downside is that its more complex to setup, but it seems worth it. 

• Like 1