New Partnership with Plesk

HelioHost

4 minutes ago, allu62 said:

That VPS is nothing but the OS may be read in Krydos' posts; thus I know what it is. And having to install all servers myself, are you sure? If HelioHost installs Hestia, everything seems to be automatically installed (if I correctly understood the Hestia documentation). For the rest you may be right, that I'll get problems: Nginx instead of Apache, MariaDB instead of MySQL, some PHP application server instead of Apache PHP module, I guess, nothing said about Perl (but might be part of Ubuntu OS)...

Krydos will help you install the server application to some extent.
However, he's currently crazy about backup and Plesk installation work, so don't expect it too much.
Of course, some packages are easy to install with distribution packages.

My VPS was delivered with a minimal configuration running only ssh. That's what I expected.

Krydos will help you install the server application to some extent.
However, he's currently crazy about backup and Plesk installation work, so don't expect it too much.
Of course, some packages are easy to install with distribution packages.

I know that Krydos and the others are more than busy now and I have no intention to steal their time. Maybe, this is all a misunderstanding. First, I thought that installing the web interface would be, for them, a routine task, just taking some minutes. Second, I understood Krydos proposition as his conviction that, with Hestia installed, setting up a running website (at least a minimum of it, as it is only for transition time) could be done by a non-professionnal without to much sysadmin knowledge and efforts. I guess, that you (balloons) are a pro and it seems that you think that a non-pro should only do such things, if he is prepared to encounter all kinds of problems.  Someone else, who understands more about all this than myself,  could give an opinion? Yesterday I was sure about what to do, but now I have more and more doubts. Perhaps, I should do nothing at all, just waiting until the new Tommy is ready and continue there, where I'm actually am...

9 hours ago, allu62 said:

Did I read well, that the subscription has to be canceled manually, or is there an option to do this automatically?

You could set up the subscription, and then we could immediately cancel it so it doesn't renew. Your VPS would stay powered on until the end of the month or the end of the 6 months, and then you will get a reminder email to make a new payment. It's really not a problem to do it this way. Either you or I can cancel the subscription. You can log in to paypal and click on the transaction and there will be a link to see the recurring status. If you click there it will say active or canceled near the top and you can change the status there. It's also not a problem for me to do all that on my end.

8 hours ago, allu62 said:

If HelioHost installs Hestia, everything seems to be automatically installed (if I correctly understood the Hestia documentation).

Yes, I don't mind installing Hestia for you. It only takes an extra minute or two of my time, and then I will provide you with both the SSH login credentials as well as the Hestia login URL and the Hestia Login credentials. Unless people specifically ask for a control panel I don't install one because it's pretty much impossible to uninstall a control panel. It's much easier to just wipe the VPS and reinstall the whole operating system than try to remove all references to a control panel. Likewise, you can only install a control panel on a freshly installed OS. If you log in via SSH and install a couple things like Apache or whatever it will probably cause a lot of errors when you change your mind and try to install a control panel because there will be conflicts.

8 hours ago, allu62 said:

I guess, nothing said about Perl

I don't know if Hestia installs perl for you. It's not a big deal to install it via SSH if Hestia doesn't provide it though.

5 hours ago, allu62 said:

First, I thought that installing the web interface would be, for them, a routine task, just taking some minutes. Second, I understood Krydos proposition as his conviction that, with Hestia installed, setting up a running website (at least a minimum of it, as it is only for transition time) could be done by a non-professionnal without to much sysadmin knowledge and efforts. I guess, that you (balloons) are a pro and it seems that you think that a non-pro should only do such things, if he is prepared to encounter all kinds of problems.  Someone else, who understands more about all this than myself,  could give an opinion? Yesterday I was sure about what to do, but now I have more and more doubts. Perhaps, I should do nothing at all, just waiting until the new Tommy is ready and continue there, where I'm actually am...

There is a little bit of a learning curve to go from cPanel to Hestia, but it's pretty straight forward. Since you are starting to second guess yourself I can give you a free trial for 3 or 4 days to try it out. If you like it you can pay for it and keep it. If Hestia is too complicated or something you will only waste a little time playing around with is. For me it takes maybe 5 minutes to plug in the variables into my VPS creating script and then it just runs and does all the latest updates and everything. Then Installing Hestia is basically the same, just plug in a few variables and let it run for 15-30 minutes. I would estimate it takes less than 10 minutes of my time total to set up an Ubuntu 20 with Hestia VPS. Don't worry about it.

Como eu faço pra hospedar algo? vi um video e tem tipo um painel de controle, mas não consigo ter acesso.

English: How do I host something? I saw a video and it has a control panel, but I can't access it.

Edited by Jenova
Translated

I use my account in a very simple way. I have three custom domains: infantex.com.mx, infantex.mx and zaldivar.mx.

infantex.com.mx just hosts an static website.

infantex.mx is an alias (I think, or a redirection) to the same website as infantex.com.mx.

zaldivar.mx is only used for emails.

infantex.com.mx's email is handled by Google Apps (or however it is named now).

zaldivar.mx's emails is handled by HelioHost.

I don't think I ever setup email for infantex.mx.

Would the Ubuntu + Hestia VPS work for me? Would it be a matter of me restoring the cPanel backups to Hestia (I don't think it would be that easy) or would I have to configure everything manually?

Regards,

6 minutes ago, infantex said:

Would the Ubuntu + Hestia VPS work for me? Would it be a matter of me restoring the cPanel backups to Hestia (I don't think it would be that easy) or would I have to configure everything manually?

You could try this https://forum.hestiacp.com/t/can-it-be-migrated-from-cpanel/1364 and then when your full cPanel backup file is available you can run that script on the cpmove-infantex.tar.gz file that contains all your cPanel files and configuration. If it doesn't work you could configure it manually.

OK. I went ahead and paid up for a monthly VPS plan. I wasn´t asked for a user account or whether to have Hestia installed though. Was it because I was already logged in here? Anyway, how do I ask for Hestia? For what I read in the thread, it would be the easiest route for me to setup the webserver and email accounts. I'm a Windows user with no Linux experience.

I can install Hestia for you. I see the VPS request and I'll start building it now. Eventually I'm planning on adding a control panel selection to the VPS signup process, but for now it just assumes you want plain SSH only.

• Like 1

...I can give you a free trial for 3 or 4 days to try it out. If you like it you can pay for it and keep it.

It's a challenge, the possibility to learn new things and writing articles for my website, that could help others... The offer of a 3-4 days trial is some kind of "sign of heaven", as my "sponsor" left for Italy this morning. Thus, if you set up my VPS on Wednesday, I could pay on Saturday, when he'll be back. This independently of if I keep the VPS or not; consider it as a donation, my way to say thanks and show my admiration.

• Like 1

I'm just raising a project and this comes out hahaha.

"In the union is strength"

If you need help with something we are willing to give on our part.

The best successes for you!!

On 7/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, HelioHost said:

Less than 24 hours later we have already managed to negotiate and sign a contract with Plesk that is even better than the one we had with cPanel.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:22 AM, wolstech said:

As for why cP is so expensive nowadays, digging shows that apparently they'd gotten bought back in late 2018 by a VC firm...which explains the massive price hikes they had.

This whole situation is weird because... Plesk and cPanel (and WHMCS) are both subsidiaries of WebPros, itself a vehicle of that firm, British Oakley Capital. It's weird that the right hand is driving you(/us) away with price hikes and bad behavior while the left hand is wooing with a good deal and responsive sales/support teams. This conglomerate could just as well have lost a client instead.

I must also reiterate the wish that a FOSS solution was available which could meet Helio's needs, and disappointment that such a cross-platform solution isn't readily available.

Plesk and cP are technically different arms of the same monster, but they're independently operated. cPanel still does business as cPanel Inc. (USA), while Plesk is Plesk International GmbH (Switzerland) even though both are wholly owned subsidiaries of WebPros. From what I can tell, they have different offices and different management.

Because they're independently operated, they don't really have any insight into each other. The VC firm above them would have insights into how they perform, but depending on why the VC owns them and how they're performing, they may or may not care about the exact inner workings of each of them.

My bet is that cPanel's suddenly aggressive behavior is because they missed some sort of goal and now they're trying to find more ways to improve profitability...