New Partnership with Plesk

HelioHost

Was just looking into keeping my email up through all this, as mail, being on the host servers, would also be going down.

My domain's DNS is via Heliohost. I'm guessing that DNS being un-configurable, I'll need to pull back DNS to my registrar's DNS service too...

For other's reference, discovered that Dynadot.com has a passable cheap plan for unlimited email accounts (but limited yearly data cap per $$) and webhosting, $16/year. Only one domain name per account. Only webmail and POP3 (mail does not stay mirrored on web server). The web hosting included is static, FTP. The shared 30MB of disk space could be quickly burned through just by emails, so a software client regularly checking and downloading emails is almost mandatory anyway.

Dynadot has a refer-a-friend program, both referrer and new account get $5 credit after $10+ purchase. I'd have to email a link to recipient though, quite stupid..

Any other ideas for cheap mail that only needs MX pointed to it? I'd just spin up a VM on my own server except for the port interference by the ISP and lack of rDNS and dynamic IP blocking by recipients.

Just looked at some options from another thread:

Yandex: funnels your mail right to the KGB

Zoho: has a terrible deceptive website where the only call-to-action is "sign up for free". Do not make websites like this.
One has to do Google searching of site:zoho.com to come up with minimum fee $12/yr per user, and no pop/imap at free tier with max 5 users and no wildcard https://www.zoho.com/mail/zohomail-pricing.html

...might just use registrar's free email forwarding for up to 10 accounts per domain. Will miss having unlimited wildcard to sign up for spammy sites.

16 hours ago, flexo said:

Yandex: funnels your mail right to the KGB

And most of the others funnel it right to the NSA, as Snowden revealed, so pick your poison. If you live in the West, presumably the KGB's a better option (and vice versa).

How about https://criptext.com/ ? Open-source, double-end encrypted and stored locally... 3 free email accounts, but you can use it together with AnonAddy (a good option for "signing up for spammy sites"). Even if they close your account, your emails will still be on your device. Then you can just open up a new account, change the receiving address at AnonAddy and continue as usual.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, Krydos said:

Remind me on Wednesday.

If the 3-day free trial is still ok for you, I'm ready to experience being the sysadmin of a VPS. I even think, that I should try to install Hestia myself. This seems not really complicated and it would be better to start from scratch, if some day I write a tutorial for my site. If you think, that it's preferable that you do it, that's ok for me. But, only if you really have the time. And, if possible, with Apache as webserver (I know the Apache config files from my local server and I suppose that they are quite the same on Ubuntu than on Windows).  Big thanks for all!

41 minutes ago, allu62 said:

If the 3-day free trial is still ok for you, I'm ready to experience being the sysadmin of a VPS.

Of course. I'll start building your VPS in a bit and email you the credentials to log in.

41 minutes ago, allu62 said:

I even think, that I should try to install Hestia myself. This seems not really complicated and it would be better to start from scratch, if some day I write a tutorial for my site.

Yeah, it's not hard at all. It just takes 2 commands:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hestiacp/hestiacp/release/install/hst-install.sh

This wget command saves the Hestia installer to your VPS.

bash hst-install.sh --interactive no --email email@domain.tld --password p4ssw0rd --hostname hostname.domain.tld -f

And that command runs the installer. Just change your email address, password, and hostname. Then it just runs for 15 minutes or so installing everything it needs and then it gives you the login url and asks you to reboot the VPS.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:33 PM, Krydos said:

Since you are starting to second guess yourself I can give you a free trial for 3 or 4 days to try it out. If you like it you can pay for it and keep it.

My static pages are actually running on the VPS. Thanks to Hestia and the power of the HelioHost community forum.

How shall I do to pay, I mean in order that you know that it is for a VPS that already exists and not for a new one to build?

And, just to be sure: If I pay for 6 months (primarily to consider as a donation), this does not mean that I'll have to keep the VPS during all this time and that I can't come back to Tommy, as soon as the rebuild is done? In fact, I consider the VPS as nothing more than a solution during the transition phase...

2 hours ago, allu62 said:

How shall I do to pay, I mean in order that you know that it is for a VPS that already exists and not for a new one to build?

You can pay for one month at https://www.heliohost.org/vps/pay/?mem=2&cpu=2&hdd=50&os=ubuntu20&sub=1month

2 hours ago, allu62 said:

If I pay for 6 months (primarily to consider as a donation), this does not mean that I'll have to keep the VPS during all this time and that I can't come back to Tommy, as soon as the rebuild is done?

You can pay for 6 months at https://www.heliohost.org/vps/pay/?mem=2&cpu=2&hdd=50&os=ubuntu20&sub=6month And of course you can cancel your VPS at any time and move back to Tommy when it's available.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:30 PM, esn024 said:

And most of the others funnel it right to the NSA, as Snowden revealed, so pick your poison. If you live in the West, presumably the KGB's a better option (and vice versa).

How about https://criptext.com/ ? Open-source, double-end encrypted and stored locally... 3 free email accounts, but you can use it together with AnonAddy (a good option for "signing up for spammy sites"). Even if they close your account, your emails will still be on your device. Then you can just open up a new account, change the receiving address at AnonAddy and continue as usual.

Thanks. They only create a @criptext.com email for you, not your domain, and the non-standards "encryption" only works between two of their own accounts.

They are also disingenuous about "open source"; there's no code for desktop or server. They are also disingenuous about the effects of a national security order with gag protection.

Website where text doesn't stay within box elements, and you can't click links or copy text from their re-collapsing Javascript drop-down boxes. Don't make websites like this.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, Krydos said:

I (more exactly my "sponsor") used this URL to make the payment on Saturday morning via PayPal. Had I to post the transaction code here or elsewhere? Would be sad to loose the VPS, because even if it's partially really heavy and several things do not work as I expected, the website, including Perl and MySQL is actually running...