Jump to content

New Partnership with Plesk


HelioHost
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, mabass said:

How can I sign up for a VPS with a non-american address? Ordering with paypal or credit card fails otherwise.

 

8 hours ago, HelioHost said:

Less than 24 hours later we have already managed to negotiate and sign a contract with Plesk that is even better than the one we had with cPanel. It's going to be a lot of work to rebuild everything with Plesk, but in the long run this will be a good thing to get rid of cPanel.

Plesk can run on Windows and Linux so we will be able to offer a unified system that includes all of our existing Linux servers as well as our Windows server Lily. Since Lily will have a real control panel it will make it much easier to create an account on her and give easy access to many more people to develop their websites for free using Microsoft's ASP.NET.

Plesk is excited to be given the opportunity to supply the control panel that we use to provide much needed assistance to thousands of students, the underprivileged, and small businesses around the world that cannot afford to pay for hosting. Part of the contract includes our permission for Plesk to feature our logo, our mission, and our success stories on their website.

Honestly, we couldn't have even hoped for something more perfect than this.

It's going to take some time to get everything switched over though. Now that we have a new contract for a control panel our next highest priority will be backing up everyone's account. Then we will wipe Tommy and rebuild him using Plesk, and begin restoring accounts. After that will be Ricky, and Johnny. In the meantime you might consider a VPS to keep your site online using the same domain that you have now. You can find the VPS signup page at https://www.heliohost.org/vps/

Let us know if you have any questions or need help with anything during this painful transition. Thanks for being a member of the HelioHost community.

I'm not familiar with the Heliohost VPS option. I read the info in the Wiki but do I retain all the same capabilities as I had before (minus CPANEL of course)??  In other words, are all my files and postgresql databases copied over, and can I still run PHP scripts, access the database, etc with the same storage, or is it meant to just host static web pages? As far as transferring files, does it also allow FTP/SFTP? Sorry if they are dumb questions but I just need to know if my site can still function as before (from the end user perspective).  Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, daskunk said:

I'm not familiar with the Heliohost VPS option. I read the info in the Wiki but do I retain all the same capabilities as I had before (minus CPANEL of course)??  In other words, are all my files and postgresql databases copied over, and can I still run PHP scripts, access the database, etc with the same storage, or is it meant to just host static web pages? As far as transferring files, does it also allow FTP/SFTP? Sorry if they are dumb questions but I just need to know if my site can still function as before (from the end user perspective).  Thank you.

On a VPS you get the entire server to yourself. By default it's just a bare operating system with SSH command line access, but you can install any web based control panel you want except for cPanel.

If you install cPanel and pay those bastards a single cent I will delete your VPS myself.

One popular configuration is Ubuntu 20 operating system and Hestia free control panel. You can of course do everything from the command line too without a web based control panel. In that case you would just install a web server, such as Apache or Nginx, and then you would need to install Postgresql and import your databases in, and you would need to install a php version as well. Control panels can make all that easier to manage by installing it all for you.

Feel free to do some research on control panels before you submit your vps request. Some control panels only work on certain operating systems so you would need to select the custom option, and choose your os. Ubuntu 20 with Hestia does support Apache, Postgresql, and PHP which you use now.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Krydos said:

On a VPS you get the entire server to yourself. By default it's just a bare operating system with SSH command line access, but you can install any web based control panel you want except for cPanel.

If you install cPanel and pay those bastards a single cent I will delete your VPS myself.

One popular configuration is Ubuntu 20 operating system and Hestia free control panel. You can of course do everything from the command line too without a web based control panel. In that case you would just install a web server, such as Apache or Nginx, and then you would need to install Postgresql and import your databases in, and you would need to install a php version as well. Control panels can make all that easier to manage by installing it all for you.

Feel free to do some research on control panels before you submit your vps request. Some control panels only work on certain operating systems so you would need to select the custom option, and choose your os. Ubuntu 20 with Hestia does support Apache, Postgresql, and PHP which you use now.

First thank you for the info. Now I have a much better idea what it's all about. Second, rest assured I would never purchase/install cpanel. How long do you estimate it will take to migrate Tommy? That would definitely influence my decision on the VPS. Thank you again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Krydos said:

On a VPS you get the entire server to yourself. By default it's just a bare operating system with SSH command line access, but you can install any web based control panel you want except for cPanel.

If you install cPanel and pay those bastards a single cent I will delete your VPS myself.

One popular configuration is Ubuntu 20 operating system and Hestia free control panel. You can of course do everything from the command line too without a web based control panel. In that case you would just install a web server, such as Apache or Nginx, and then you would need to install Postgresql and import your databases in, and you would need to install a php version as well. Control panels can make all that easier to manage by installing it all for you.

Feel free to do some research on control panels before you submit your vps request. Some control panels only work on certain operating systems so you would need to select the custom option, and choose your os. Ubuntu 20 with Hestia does support Apache, Postgresql, and PHP which you use now.

then how do you get email working on your VPS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Krydos said:

100% without a doubt cPanel thought that we couldn't survive without them, and we would just give up and hand over the $1442 per month to keep their licenses. Absolute pure greed. If the reason was anything other than money they wouldn't have just said "you can buy full licenses"

I wonder what cP is thinking right now now that we dropped them in under 24 hours.

cP: "Hey these guys have been a 16 year customer and we're losing money on them, they'll just pay up if we demand 17k no matter how small they are"

HH: Switches to Plesk.

cP: *pikachu face* (if they had done any research on us, they'd realize we quite literally can't afford their product).

As for why cP is so expensive nowadays, digging shows that apparently they'd gotten bought back in late 2018 by a VC firm...which explains the massive price hikes they had. VC firms basically exist to extract as much money as they can from an acquired company. Either it becomes extremely profitable (often at the expense of its customer base) and they ride the gravy train for a while then sell it, or they fail at making it profitable, in which case they squeeze what they can out then pile debt from other investments into it and let it go bankrupt (see Toys r us).

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, daskunk said:

How long do you estimate it will take to migrate Tommy? That would definitely influence my decision on the VPS.

I have absolutely no idea. I've never installed Plesk before. I'm going to get it done as quick as I can though. That's literally the only HelioHost related thing I'm going to be doing for quite a while. If you want to go month to month it's only $4. Hopefully I can get Tommy rebuilt in less than a month.

3 hours ago, clueless said:

then how do you get email working on your VPS?

Email is definitely the hardest part of setting up a VPS without a control panel. I believe @Unknown025 did it on his own personal VPS without a control panel though. He might be a good person to ask how he did it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Krydos said:

I have absolutely no idea. I've never installed Plesk before. I'm going to get it done as quick as I can though. That's literally the only HelioHost related thing I'm going to be doing for quite a while. If you want to go month to month it's only $4. Hopefully I can get Tommy rebuilt in less than a month.

Email is definitely the hardest part of setting up a VPS without a control panel. I believe @Unknown025 did it on his own personal VPS without a control panel though. He might be a good person to ask how he did it.

Got it .. thank you again and good luck. Very much appreciate (in advance) all you will be doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you so much. Though if you are looking for open source ones there is Cyberpanel (as I said before), Virtualmin (I think is better for reselling since it is complicated to limit disk size in cyberpanel), and Ispconfig. Solidcp and MSPControl are opensource panels for windows servers. However I can't think of one for both that is also good for reselling (a hosting business). 

 

I saw this article showing how to migrate from cPanel to Plesk: https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/obsidian/migration-guide/introduction.75496/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because there are users who are interested in VPS on this topic.

www.heliohost.org is currently temporarily displaying the maintenance page. This is displayed by switching servers.
Due to this effect, the VPS page will not be displayed temporarily. The VPS page is also on www.heliohost.org .
If you are interested in VPS you have to wait a bit.

Similarly, the donation page cannot be displayed.

Administrators who handle these are currently crazy about server maintenance. We users can wait for this progress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Krydos locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...