How to host multiple websites/domains on a Heliohost VPS

spandso

• spandso changed the title to How to host multiple websites/domains on a Heliohost VPS

There are two basic steps to adding a new domain to a VPS

1. Set the A record for the domain on your DNS provider to the ipv4 of your VPS.
  2. Add the domain to your Apache or Nginx configuration.

For instance if you're using Apache on Ubuntu 20 you could create the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/newdomain.conf and then symlink a copy of that file to /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ to enable it. Here is some instructions to do this https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-set-up-apache-virtual-hosts-on-ubuntu-20-04/ If you're using Nginx instead of Apache it will be similar.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Krydos said:

1. Set the A record for the domain on your DNS provider to the ipv4 of your VPS.

For instance if you're using Apache on Ubuntu 20 you could create the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/newdomain.conf and then symlink a copy of that file to /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ to enable it. Here is some instructions to do this https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-set-up-apache-virtual-hosts-on-ubuntu-20-04/ If you're using Nginx instead of Apache it will be similar.

Thank you Krydos. That's all the info I needed!

28 minutes ago, balloons said:

I also asked your VPS web server. The configuration file is different depending on the web server.
Is it Apache? nginx? I like Caddy.

If you just received a VPS, it is not yet installed. You need to work from there first.

It's Apache. Already installed and running. I already have a website set.

22 hours ago, Krydos said:

Sorry @Krydos, one more question. Do I have to keep the nameservers as is (ns1.heliohost.org; ns2.heliohost.org)?

1 hour ago, spandso said:

Do I have to keep the nameservers as is (ns1.heliohost.org; ns2.heliohost.org)?

No, you don't. You can use any DNS service you want for your VPS. Actually right now I recommend using external DNS such as through Cloudflare or through your domain registrar. Both of our nameservers run cPanel too so they will need to be rebuilt which means we will have some downtime on our nameservers as well over the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Krydos said:

No, you don't. You can use any DNS service you want for your VPS. Actually right now I recommend using external DNS such as through Cloudflare or through your domain registrar. Both of our nameservers run cPanel too so they will need to be rebuilt which means we will have some downtime on our nameservers as well over the next couple weeks.

Do you mean I need to install a DNS on my VPS?

Sorry, I'm confused. Right now I have set the nameservers at my domain registrant as ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org. I edited the A record to the IP of my VPS. What do I have to do next?

28 minutes ago, spandso said:

I have set the nameservers at my domain registrant as ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org.

If this is set, it will continue to reference the shared server. You need to change this.
Krydos recommends using an external service for this. This is because there are some issues when configuring with VPS. Related topics:

3 hours ago, balloons said:

If this is set, it will continue to reference the shared server. You need to change this.
Krydos recommends using an external service for this. This is because there are some issues when configuring with VPS. Related topics:

Thanks.

I went to create a cloudflare account and changed the nameservers and A record there. Also changed the nameservers at my domain registrar to point to the cloudflare's nameservers. It should take some time to see the change, but I guess I figured it out.

• Like 1