Good temporary web hosts

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a free web host I can use until Heliohost is back up? I need to test some beta files before I push to GitHub. I was thing 000webhost but I really don’t like their restrictions.

Trust me I have tried all the popular ones I found on google but None can be compared to Heliohost. The best most of them is good at is a statistic webpage. Believe me Heliohost has been the best. 

If you don't want to go for vps, then you must wait till after rebuilding

If you want to gamble on Tommy being back in a month, perhaps you could sign up for a one-month trial at Linode or some similar service? They provide pretty decent VPSes.

If it's a long-term open source project, you could also apply for free hosting at Fosshost. I'm not sure how strict they are, but it might be worth a shot. I don't think they're interested in short-term operations though, and there's a submission process you have to go through.

I've also used Byethost in the past; they have a cPanel-based setup although it seemed slightly shady and they try to push you to upgrade to Hostinger, whom I think are their partners.

Speaking of which, if you're willing to spend a couple of dollars just for the month, Hostinger has mildly restricted plans starting at $1.39/mo.

Nothing perfect, but they might be able to keep you running till Tommy's back. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

There are some surprisingly good free VPS deals out there, both short and long term. You'd want to avoid ones that don't come with an IP v4 address though.

Oracle's Free Teir is pretty amazing. If you pick their ARM-based VPS you apparantly get four "OCPU" cores with 24 GB RAM between them, 200GB+ storage, two IPv4 addresses, and 10 TB outbound data per month, with no expiry date. Detailed specs.

However when I tried to sign up it failed, apparantly due to a problem with confirming my identity via my Visa Debit Card (which is required even though they don't charge unless you use their paid services). That's probably because I'm Australian though, and the exact same thing happened when I tried to sign up for AWS's free VPN years ago. Support aren't interested in helping (though at least Oracle's support replied to me, AWS just left me hanging).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 9:38 AM, Computer Nerd Kev said:

There are some surprisingly good free VPS deals out there, both short and long term. You'd want to avoid ones that don't come with an IP v4 address though.

Oracle's Free Teir is pretty amazing. If you pick their ARM-based VPS you apparantly get four "OCPU" cores with 24 GB RAM between them, 200GB+ storage, two IPv4 addresses, and 10 TB outbound data per month, with no expiry date. Detailed specs.

However when I tried to sign up it failed, apparantly due to a problem with confirming my identity via my Visa Debit Card (which is required even though they don't charge unless you use their paid services). That's probably because I'm Australian though, and the exact same thing happened when I tried to sign up for AWS's free VPN years ago. Support aren't interested in helping (though at least Oracle's support replied to me, AWS just left me hanging).

They don't accept Visa Debit, I had the same issue when I tried to sign up (Canadian for those wondering). I got around it by using a Visa prepaid card from a provider that grants temporary cards to use online.

I've using their two free x86_64 VMs eight months now and their largest ARM VM (the one with four cores and 24GB of RAM) for about two weeks. It works well so far, aside from a really weird issue with iptables and Ubuntu that their web console firewall has an issue with. I use one of the x86 VMs for my website and the other as a dumping grounds for data. The large ARM VM I use to host a Minecraft server and its doing well so far. The support is also pretty much useless as you probably have experienced.

I wouldn't host any sensitive data on Oracle's VMs though. I don't know how long Oracle plans to do this or if they one day would just decide to pull the plug on free resources.