Heliohost vs Godaddy

I have been using Godaddy’s web hosting plan for the past year or so, and I am happy to say Heliohost is so much better. First, while Godaddy offers 100x more storage, they limit you on the number of files you can have. Next they have shell access, but it is extremely limited. They also don’t allow you to install third party SSL certificates, they just try to force you to buy their pro SSL plan. They also don’t have as good of a DNS manager. I just wanted to post this for anyone wanting to try them. Heliohost, the free service, is better than Godaddy, the paid one.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Also, for those who do need features not on our free shared host offerings (like shell access or the ability to run custom apps like a game server), our paid VPS offering starts at only $4/month too, much cheaper than GoDaddy, whose closest comparable VPS is almost $20/month.

We're planning to upgrade our servers in the near future too with additional capacity, and down the road after this cP/Plesk fiasco blows over we hope to offer an ultra-low-cost paid non-VPS option as well.

• Thanks 2

.NET requires Windows, so no it won't run on Tommy (which is linux).

We do have a Windows server (Lily) which we hope to also have running Plesk at some point and which should support ASP.NET, though having started to dig into it, that I'm not sure it's as feasible as Krydos thinks it is (as I discovered through research, Plesk apparently "cheats" in a lot of ways when run on Windows...).

EDIT: No we don't accept cash app. We accept paypal, skrill, and various forms of cryptocurrency. See https://heliohost.org/donate/

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2021 at 3:41 PM, goman60 said:

Heliohost, the free service, is better than Godaddy, the paid one.

Agree 100%. I've been a GoDaddy customer for ... 14 years? And I've been dissatisfied for most of that time for the reasons you cite, @goman60, among others, but because of inertia and bad timing I still have stuff there. I'm in the (slow) process of moving everything over here and to NameCheap (HelioHost's affiliate link on the name there - thank you @Krydos).

Go HelioHost! Woooo!

• Like 1