Ubuntu VPS - Install antivirus or not?

allu62

I have no idea if it's true that there is no need for an antivirus on Linux, as some people say. Running a mailserver without an antivirus seems risky to me and in Hestia there is a "not installed" in red in the antivirus column for the mailserver- I posted yesterday in the Hestia CP forum and got a very detailed description, how to install and congigure clamav. However, the last line of the answer to my post shows a major issue when installing the antivirus- That I should be aware that clamav needs some 1GB free memory (how is this possible?). On my 2GB VPS, all services running, there are only 1.2GB free memory left. Would installing clamav not cause more problems than being without, especially because 99% of the mails are spam, that I delete without ever opening them?

Hestia has installed a spam filter, too. You are right. Mails shouldn't be a real issue. And Ubuntu shouldn't need an antivirus, I guess? With 2GB of memory, clamav is not reasonable and not installing it avoids work and possible problems. Thanks.