[Solved] Reverse DNS for VPS

infantex

Hello, everybody.

I'm still in the process of setting up a VPS to host my domains until Tommy is fully back.

I had a problem with blocked emails and learned a little more than I wanted about SPF, DKIM and that kind of stuff.  🙂 

One issue I'm still having is that I need to set up reverse DNS for one of the domains. I know I have to ask to have it done for me, that it's something I can't do myself.

However, I don't know what the rDNS should point to, so I can ask properly. The mail server? The VPS name?

The VPS is vps40.heliohost.us

It currently hosts two domains:

• infantex.com.mx
  • zaldivar.mx

infantex.com.mx's mail is handled by Google (an old free G Suite deal).

zaldivar.mx's is handled by the VPS (via Hestia). And this domain's email is the one lacking rDNS.

Here's the relevant part from mail-tester.com:

image.thumb.png.d143d8edd855901d2ce81769cf8f356e.png

From this, I'd gather that the reverse DNS should point to vps40.heliohost.us and not zaldivar.mx (or mail.zaldivar.mx), even though the mail is from zaldivar.mx. It also makes sense in case I end up adding another domain to the VPS. But... am I correct?

Also, what would be the best practice in naming the VPS that's hosting the sites? Is it OK to let it at "vps40.heliohost.us" or would a personalized domain be better? Or is it simply irrelevant?

Regards,

It's really personal preference if you want to change your main domain to something other than vps40.heliohost.us. If you do decide to change it just let me know and I can change the reverse dns to match it. For now though your reverse dns is set

root@tommy [/home/krydos]# dig +noall +answer -x 65.19.141.197
197.141.19.65.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN    CNAME   197.subnet192.141.19.65.in-addr.arpa.
197.subnet192.141.19.65.in-addr.arpa. 14400 IN PTR vps40.heliohost.us.

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] Reverse DNS for VPS
  • Krydos locked this topic