[Solved] Debian 11?

jnorden

Is it possible to buy a vps provisioned with Debian 11, which came out a few days ago?

I think that what I'd like to do, instead of upgrading my existing vps, is to buy a new Debian-11 one with a bit more hardware, then selectively transfer stuff from my old vps (avoiding various crud I created), and then delete the old vps before it renews at the beginning of Sept.

Thanks,

-Jef

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jnorden said:

Is it possible to buy a vps provisioned with Debian 11, which came out a few days ago?

Thanks for noticing that. I knew Debian 11 was close to being released so I was checking for it a couple weeks ago. Debian 11 iso has been uploaded to the server, and the option has been added to the VPS signup page.

2 hours ago, jnorden said:

I think that what I'd like to do, instead of upgrading my existing vps, is to buy a new Debian-11 one with a bit more hardware, then selectively transfer stuff from my old vps (avoiding various crud I created), and then delete the old vps before it renews at the beginning of Sept.

That is an excellent plan, and it will work well.

Thanks for the lightning-fast response as always.  One more question:

Is the vps storage backed by spinning disks or ssd?  It has seemed to me that disk access is sometimes a bottleneck.  I was going to up the ram a bit and try using tmpfs for /tmp (so that /tmp/ files never get written to permanent storage).  Any idea if this would speed up, e.g., long compilations?

-Jeff

When I was picking out the hard drives for the fundraiser I really wanted to get SSDs, but I ran the numbers and it just isn't really feasible. It costs $1885.95 for less than 2 TB of SSD. That means even if we filled the raid array with forty 50 GB VPS's at $4.00 per month it would take us 22 months to break even. On the other hand we can get the same storage from 10K enterprise quality SAS hard drives for less than $300. Furthermore, it's possible our CPU and memory could end up being the bottleneck if we got super fast drives and that would make all that extra money pointless anyways. Furtherfurthermore, even if we got super fast SSDs it's possible that the servers would fight for drive I/O and cause each other to be much slower than if we set up multiple separate cheap raid arrays instead of having one big one.

You're right though, disk access is definitely the cause of the VPS being pretty slow, but we realized that back in September last year so that's why we created a fundraiser to buy new hard drives. The fundraiser was successful and we'll be installing the new drives on August 30th. We're hoping that the VPS performance will go back to the pre-Johnny levels. We'll see.

I think I've got my new vps mostly configured.  When you have a minute, please change norden.heliohost.us to point to vps15 (216.218.228.92) instead of vps46 (65.19.141.203).  As far as I can tell, there is no way for me to do that.

------------------------------------

I've configured /tmp/ as a 1GB-max tmpfs file system.  It seems a bit faster.  A simple benchmark is impressive: using dd to copy 512MB from /dev/random  to

• a file in /tmp/ took 2.6 sec (as compared to 2.3 sec to copy to /dev/null)
  • a file in my home directory took 30.7 sec

Of course, the second time will vary a bit depending on the server load.  It'll be interesting to try this again after the disk upgrades.

-Jeff

There you go

root@tommy [/home/krydos]# dig +short A @ns1.heliohost.org norden.heliohost.us
root@tommy [/home/krydos]# dig +short A @ns2.heliohost.org norden.heliohost.us

It may take a couple hours to propagate through the whole internet.

Were you ready for me to cancel your VPS46 payment to make sure it doesn't charge again in September?

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] Debian 11?
  • Krydos locked this topic