Not urgent: vps46 needs a restart or fix

jnorden

Sorry to be trouble while you are still busy with plesk.  I seem to have screwed up my old vps46  vm, and I'm not quite done with it yet.

It won't even respond to a ping, so it may just need a hard reboot.  But, it died immediately after running 'ufw enable', so there is a chance it needs to be broken into to disable the firewall (although 'ufw show added' clearly said that ports 22, 80, and 443 would be open).

Also, does the data center and/or vmware provide any  outside firewall?  To protect, eg, against ddos attacks?

Thanks again, and no hurry on this.

-Jeff

This is a disappointing event. I've contacted Discord, but it will happen at Krydos timing.

I haven't heard any protection information around here, so it needs protection at the distribution and application level.
Use ssh encryption key instead of password,  Change ssh port number, That's the recommended procedure,

I deal with this with an unusual server configuration. For example, My VPS uses Caddy as my web server instead of Apache.

https://caddyserver.com/

".htaccess" cannot be used. It is not subject to associated attacks. It doesn't do as much as nginx, but it's probably faster than Apache.
This also issues and manage the SSL (TLS) certificates. No SSL certificate app is required. I initially used this on Windows 10 and liked it.

And do not install and run other unnecessary applications. If you don't need PHP, don't install it. It's very effective.

@jnorden - The system didn't respond to ssh nor to ping during our initial tests. So, we reset the password first. After resetting and logging in, we tried viewing the ufw settings, and they looked fine to us. After checking again, it seems to just have started working on its own after that. We have sent the new password to you via email. Let us know if you have any other questions.

5 hours ago, jnorden said:

Also, does the data center and/or vmware provide any  outside firewall?  To protect, eg, against ddos attacks?

Not by default. You could use Cloudflare or similar services to protect against it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yashrs said:

You could use Cloudflare or similar services to protect against it.

Many shared server users also use Cloudflare. If you apply a custom domain to your VPS, I would recommend it too.
I also manage many domains with Cloudflare. After many years of experience, I settled down this.