[HH#337391] Asking for install alpinelinux

HelioHost

VPS number: 9999, VPS ID: 229

Dear HelioHost,
I just bought a VPS from your side, and I would like to ask you if it's possible to install Alpine Linux?

And, I have a WHMCS permanently license. I can offer it to you for free.
I used to sell servers, but I don't do it anymore, so it's useless for me to hold it.
So don't hesitate to contact me if you need it.

Thank you
Best wishes,

Alpine Linux has been installed on your VPS. I've never used Alpine Linux before, but it seems to be functioning. The root password is set to the password that you selected when you signed up for your VPS. A user with the username aloento that you selected when you signed up was also created using the password that you selected when you signed up. It's not possible for us to test the password for you since we never have access to it in plaintext, but it looks like Alpine uses the standard hashing technique that most linux distros use so the passwords should be set correctly. Let us know if you are unable to login and we can reset it for you. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Thank you for the offer of WHMCS. I don't really see any use for it right now, but we'll keep it in mind for the future if we find a use for it. Thanks.

I think you need to pay attention to the disk IO situation now.

When I was using it, I found that the system was often stuck, and after some investigation, I discovered that it was prolonged IO.

2+0 records in
2+0 records out
dd if=/dev/zero of=test.file bs=1G count=2 oflag=direct  0.00s user 12.57s system 1% cpu 12:18.05 total

4194304+0 records in
4194304+0 records out
dd if=test.file of=/dev/null iflag=direct  6.11s user 11.48s system 19% cpu 1:29.41 total

I might have configured something wrong on iptables and I can't connect to SSH now, can you help me with this?

From my experience, I think VPS should have a panel that users can manage themselves, otherwise if something like this happens, users will have to come to you for help, but in reality this kind of problem is not a big deal.

You only have to post in one place. Emailing Yash and I and copy/pasting the exact same text on to the forum isn't going to get you faster support.  

5 hours ago, Aloento said:

IPv6 seems like an under problem, and I try to solve it.

Could you tell me your ip6 is Stateless or Static?

If it is static, what are the netmask and gateway?

You're right. I forgot to set up IPv6 for you when I was installing your Alpine Linux.

IPv6: 2001:470:1:1ee::57
Netmask: /64
Gateway: 2001:470:1:1ee::1

4 hours ago, Aloento said:

And you installed a lot of linux-firmware even nvidia and amd gpu driver...

I ran setup-alpine and just installed it to disk. The only thing extra I installed was open-vm-tools so your don't end up with disk corruption if we need to do maintenance. We use open-vm-tools to gracefully shut down VPS if we need to reboot the host, for example, and if the user has uninstalled this package for some reason we just yank the power on the VPS which can result in file system corruption.    

1 hour ago, Aloento said:

From my experience, I think VPS should have a panel that users can manage themselves, otherwise if something like this happens, users will have to come to you for help, but in reality this kind of problem is not a big deal.

We have “adding console access” on the todo list, but you have to keep in mind that HelioHost is a non-profit run by volunteers so we don’t have a staff of full time employees sitting around developing features 40 hours a week. It’s actually the opposite. We all have full time jobs and families and lives that come first and HelioHost is a hobby that we do in our free time.