Plesk Code Re-Write...

skullys

I understand there's no firm date to begin account / file transfers but any estimate / update on progress so far... Krydos, assuming you don't have to start from scratch each time you run into problems while building this beast, % estimate on current status regarding where you've successfully gotten us so far on this project?

10% there...25%...etc.

Thanks for being the point man on this deal.... 

A brief followup to my original question...

If Heliohost is unable to produce a working Plesk transfer code that is compatible with current accounts & backups, Is it not possible to simply scrap the idea of a rewrite and basically start from scratch for each Heliohost account utilizing whatever code and resources that Plesk currently uses for new accounts & set up?

While I'm sure no one likes the prospect of losing the full range of service and functionality previously provided by Heliohost,... after 7+ months without c-panel, that functionality has essentially already been lost.

While I appreciate the commitment of Heliohost to it's account holders and it's effort to satisfactorily resolve this unfortunate situation, it may now be time to look at less than ideal solutions to get Heliohost back up and running. 

Thanks again for providing years of outstanding service and looking forward to many more!

If Heliohost is unable to produce a working Plesk transfer code that is compatible with current accounts & backups, Is it not possible to simply scrap the idea of a rewrite and basically start from scratch for each Heliohost account utilizing whatever code and resources that Plesk currently uses for new accounts & set up?

I agree.

Probably not a popular opinion for many, but I personally think K should never have gone down the path of trying to fix the scripts, and instead just thrown out the idea of a migration and re-invited everyone once we realized it wasn't as easy as claimed.

Migrations/imports often come with tons of (sometimes hidden) issues that can manifest weeks, months, or even years later. Look at it like a PC operating system: Do you upgrade Win7 to Win10 and hope you don't find quirks in your files and software due to the running migration, or do you toss Win7 entirely and install fresh Win10? The latter tends to work better,  but the former is more convenient.

is it possible to remove those inactive account to claim back cpanel?

Maximum Users Exceeded.

The number of users on the server exceeds the maximum number of allowed users for your host server.

Like those account with 0 visitor each month. Then send a 3 months warning email their account may get removed。
In the final date, email them a backup of their account data

3 minutes ago, ningningsia said:

is it possible to remove those inactive account to claim back cpanel?

Maximum Users Exceeded.

The number of users on the server exceeds the maximum number of allowed users for your host server.

Like those account with 0 visitor each month. Then send a 3 months warning email their account may get removed。
In the final date, email them a backup of their account data

A few things:

1. This is cpanel. We don't have a license for it anymore. 

2. Looking here: https://cpanel.net/pricing/ cpanel doesn't have a pricing option for 1000's of users, let alone 500. That is, unless you pay them per user, which I assume would be around $400/m.

3. Getting rid of users with no views wouldn't make sense if they themselves are still actively developing and logging into their accounts. They can't right now due to no cpanel, which we need to make most things work. So no cpanel = no logins = don't kick people just because of a technical issue.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hestia66 said:

can we just re-join again from scratch then and everyone just uploads their own site again?

Not everyone has backups, plus we have people who had their sites archived from years ago. What if they want to come back and work on their projects? Should they start from scratch? Are you gonna be there when they complain that they no longer have access to their websites and they didn't make a backup? Just some things to think about.

I'm pretty sure we are all fed up with waiting but, as always, we are a non profit company. Everyone that "works" here are volunteers so they do what they can, when they can. 

Even though it doesn't feel like it, your patience IS appreciated.

20 hours ago, Jenova said:

Not everyone has backups, plus we have people who had their sites archived from years ago. What if they want to come back and work on their projects? Should they start from scratch? Are you gonna be there when they complain that they no longer have access to their websites and they didn't make a backup?

If Possible....Why not just let each account holder decide whether it's better, because of the issues you mentioned, to wait for the complete Plesk code to be rewritten, or if they aren't needing to address such issues, would simply be happy to start from scratch?

At this point in time, an option such as this would be preferable to the uncertainty we now face. I'm sure many would agree...

17 minutes ago, skullys said:

If Possible....Why not just let each account holder decide whether it's better, because of the issues you mentioned, to wait for the complete Plesk code to be rewritten, or if they aren't needing to address such issues, would simply be happy to start from scratch?

At this point in time, an option such as this would be preferable to the uncertainty we now face. I'm sure many would agree...

So, what you're saying is have two different servers: one with Plesk how it originally came and one that is being rewritten? That isn't possible if that's what you're getting at.

Let me just reiterate:

20 hours ago, Jenova said:

Are you gonna be there when they complain that they no longer have access to their websites and they didn't make a backup?

Because rn how it stands is we have two types of people: Ones who are willing to wait if it means that their website is intact in the end and those who would rather just have a working webhost. 

Will you be the one to help the ones who are willing to wait and apologize to them because you (or whoever) suggested we just wipe all the servers and start over from scratch? Can you imagine? 1000's of users on each server, just gone. No way to get them back. You had a forum of over 100 people? Now you have to start over. You had a prominent business in which you made money and had a database of all your users? RIP. What about a booming social site? Adios.

Try to see if from the other end. I hate to be the one to say this, but if you can't wait, don't. We will still be here. We will still have your files. We won't go anywhere and we will get Plesk up and running.

Many of the accounts probably aren't going to migrate perfectly anyway. I can almost guarantee there will be things that need changing like paths, host names, or database credentials for many sites even if the data moves over completely.

So, what you're saying is have two different servers: one with Plesk how it originally came and one that is being rewritten? That isn't possible if that's what you're getting at.

Plesk itself isn't being rewritten, the account migration script is, so I took the options to be "Wait in line for account migration" or "Get an empty account without waiting and restore backups manually". If the other non-migration components like load management were finished, this is exactly what I would be suggesting.

Backups are available for download for every account we have. We could have easily gotten everything that isn't migration working, and offered users an empty account instead of moving it for them. The user isn't losing their data either way. An empty account + backup just means they have extra legwork to set things up, which I'm sure many will gladly do if it means they can get a working account sooner. We could have then worked on fixing the migration scripts last, just moving the users who decided not to take the empty account + backup. All self-restore users would already be moved at that point...

Edited by wolstech
Rewrite last paragraph so it makes sense

2 minutes ago, wolstech said:

Many of the accounts probably aren't going to migrate perfectly anyway. I can almost guarantee there will be things that need changing like paths, host names, or database credentials for many sites even if the data moves over completely.

Plesk itself isn't being rewritten, the account migration script is, so I took the options to be "Wait in line for account migration" or "Get an empty account without waiting and restore backups manually". If the other non-migration components like load management were finished, this is exactly what I would be suggesting.

Backups are available for download for every account we have, so there's no reason we can't just give a user an empty account instead of moving it for them. The user isn't losing their data either way. An empty account + backup just means they have extra legwork to set things up, which I'm sure many will gladly do if it means they can get a working account sooner.

True, I understand. And the way I took it was they were assuming Plesk itself was being rewritten as well. So, I went down that path. Got kind of consumed by it and forgot about the migration script.

The whole reason for my paragraphs was because there is a lot going on in the background that not even you are probably aware of that has 0 to do with HH at all. I won't go into details because I was told not to but I'm talking to Krydos on a daily basis.

With this being said, I understand how hard it is to wait and just get an account. I'll see if I can bring it up to him, but at this point, I try to avoid conversation about HH with him outside of the forums.

Apologies if I seemed harsh or angry, there's just A LOT going on.