Johnny Accounts Hacked

Krydos

Last night and this morning we noticed quite a few accounts on Johnny got hacked and various phishing websites and illegal content was uploaded to their websites. Normally our policy when an account gets hacked is we suspend the affected account and create a new account for the user, but since it's not currently possible to create new accounts on cPanel we'll have to wait for Plesk to be ready before we'll be able to create new free hosting accounts. Since so many accounts were affected we decided to just power off Johnny entirely rather than try to sort through all of it.

As a reminder you can download your full backup from https://www.heliohost.org/backup/ If you need any help downloading your backup let us know.

If you need your website to be online prior to Johnny being rebuilt with Plesk we do offer VPS hosting https://www.heliohost.org/vps/ which is available immediately starting at $4 USD per month. We can transfer any of your heliohost.us or heliohost.org domains to the VPS to keep your website online, and then when Plesk is ready you can move back to the free hosting if you want to. If you're not familiar with VPS or SSH we can install Hestia control panel and import your Johnny account for you at no additional cost. There is currently no ETA on when Plesk will be available on Johnny.

1 hour ago, Ipsum said:

Hi, I downloaded the backup but I saw that it is outdated, is there a possibility to recover the most recent files? Maybe turning on ftp for a while

Unfortunately we can't turn on SFTP, nor can we do an automatic full backup because many files on accounts have been altered and phishing pages uploaded. If we were to provide full backups of hacked accounts we could very well be providing stolen credit card numbers, passwords, and other phished data to you which is just as illegal as doing the phishing ourselves.

However, if you just need a couple files I can check them manually for illegal data, and if they're clean I can add it to the backup system for you. I'm not going to check 10,000 files by hand, but if it's just a few files it won't be a problem.

• Krydos locked this topic