HelioHost's Resurrection

Krydos

Thank you Krydos for the php and cgi info. I'm debating about whether to switch or to delay. I have active users right now who are relying on web pages that utilize php and cgi scripts. Until the end of June I really can't have a service disruption so the question is what happens when you move my account. Would there be any reason that php and cgi scripts that currently work fine under CPANEL would not work during the migration?  Also, can I continue FTPing files to my public_html space during the migration? Lastly, am I required to do anything once the migration completes (i.e. must I log into Plesk and do something right away).

The answers to these questions will help me determine whether to go now or stay put for a while.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, daskunk said:

Until the end of June I really can't have a service disruption

We aren't deleting the cPanel accounts so if you can't get something working on Plesk it only takes 5 seconds to edit the A records back to the old account.

Would there be any reason that php and cgi scripts that currently work fine under CPANEL would not work during the migration?

We have had some issues with .htaccess files that worked under cPanel not working anymore under Plesk. I'm still investigating why that might be. So far the common .htaccess commands like rewrite seem to be working fine, but some like enabling indexes throw a 500 error. The solution so far is just to comment out the certain lines, and no one's website functionality seems to have been affected so far.

Also, can I continue FTPing files to my public_html space during the migration?

SFTP works on both cPanel and Plesk so where ever your account is you can manage the files through SFTP. Plesk has the advantage of having a browser based file manager as well.

Lastly, am I required to do anything once the migration completes (i.e. must I log into Plesk and do something right away).

We will start monitoring inactivity again once you're on Plesk so we can archive unused accounts to keep space available for active users. cPanel has no inactivity monitoring, but we will take the whole server offline eventually once everyone has had the opportunity to move to Plesk so you can't stay on there forever.

6 hours ago, daskunk said:

Would there be any reason that php and cgi scripts that currently work fine under CPANEL would not work during the migration?

I just got a report that cgi files that had 755 permissions on cPanel got transferred to have 644 permissions. Obviously you can just edit the permissions after you're transferred to fix it, but it's something I may try to fix in the transfer script.

Krydos, thank you again so much for all the information. That is very useful. I want to try one of my questions again because after reading your reply I realized I didn't ask it clearly .. my bad. What I mean to ask is once you migrate my account to Plesk do I need to login right away for everything to continue working. For example, if you moved it on Monday and I wasn't available to log into Plesk until Friday, would my web site continue working Monday thru Friday? (assuming the 755--->644 permission issue gets fixed in the transfer script)

1 hour ago, daskunk said:

What I mean to ask is once you migrate my account to Plesk do I need to login right away for everything to continue working.

No, you don't have to login at all for the first 30 days, but most people are eager to try out the new control panel so they login as soon as they are transferred.

10 hours ago, ytmusic said:

hi Krydos, I cant see my current rank in ETA page...
Is there any way I can check my current rank.?

Right now we're only transferring existing accounts, but not creating new accounts. If you are a donor, but don't have an existing account you won't have a numerical position on this ETA right now. As soon as we're able to create new accounts your numerical position will come back, and we'll send you an invite to create a new Plesk account.

Since you were on Johnny your account can't be transferred, so we will give you a brand new empty account on Plesk and a free upgrade to Tommy. Since new account creation hasn't been implemented yet there is no ETA. As soon as new account creation is implemented the ETA page will show your position number and estimate date when you will receive the email invite to create a new account.

EDIT:

To answer your question more directly, I looked at the database and you're #1011 in line to create a new account.

Edited by Krydos
added position number
  • Like 1