From Tommy to Lily!

zgraphic

Hi!
I have an account on Tommy which I guessed at the beginning it is already support Asp.net. but it sounds i had had misunderstanding about it. As I understand now,  Asp.net hosting only supported on Lily server. Is there any possibility to move from Tommy to Lily?

My Domain: rayhanah.org
Username:zgraphic

I appreciate your efforts. Thanks
Sorry if i left my question in incorrect place in this forum!

The way we did ASP.net prior to losing our cPanel licenses was you had to have an account on Tommy, Ricky, or Johnny and Lily was like a supplemental account that you had also to do the ASP.net part while cPanel took care of all the DNS, mail, etc etc. because Lily doesn't have a control panel of any kind. You just basically SFTP your files on there, and that's about it. The other thing that may have caused you confusion is before Lily we had ASP.net running through Mono on Tommy. That wasn't a very good configuration though because Mono doesn't support a lot of things, isn't very up to date, and it would cause a lot of load on Tommy.

The main reason I approached Plesk first when I was looking for a new control panel is because Plesk runs on both Linux servers and Windows servers. The hope is that we will be able to do things like transfer you between Tommy and Lily, but we're not even thinking about testing something like that yet. It's going to be months before we even consider installing Plesk on Lily.

Wolstech runs the Windows servers, and I take care of the Linux servers for the most part so he can create a Lily account for you, get you set up with ASP.net, and give you all the instructions on how to put your files on Lily when he sees this.

Let us know if you have any other questions, or if anything else is confusing for you.

1 hour ago, Krydos said:

The way we did ASP.net prior to losing our cPanel licenses was you had to have an account on Tommy, Ricky, or Johnny and Lily was like a supplemental account that you had also to do the ASP.net part while cPanel took care of all the DNS, mail, etc etc. because Lily doesn't have a control panel of any kind. You just basically SFTP your files on there, and that's about it. The other thing that may have caused you confusion is before Lily we had ASP.net running through Mono on Tommy. That wasn't a very good configuration though because Mono doesn't support a lot of things, isn't very up to date, and it would cause a lot of load on Tommy.

The main reason I approached Plesk first when I was looking for a new control panel is because Plesk runs on both Linux servers and Windows servers. The hope is that we will be able to do things like transfer you between Tommy and Lily, but we're not even thinking about testing something like that yet. It's going to be months before we even consider installing Plesk on Lily.

Wolstech runs the Windows servers, and I take care of the Linux servers for the most part so he can create a Lily account for you, get you set up with ASP.net, and give you all the instructions on how to put your files on Lily when he sees this.

Let us know if you have any other questions, or if anything else is confusing for you.

Hi Krydos! That was just a great and clear reply from your side. Thank you.
everything is clear now. To be honest I want to host nopcommerce script which I think it is also has version that support Linux servers but I have not tested it with Linux so I am not sure if it will work on Tommy or not. If you think this kind of script works also on Tommy! are there any special procedures I have to do to achive that?

Plesk on Lily is going to be a nightmare considering the custom stuff running on that server (insomuch that my stuff will likely need to go elsewhere in order for it to eventually get Plesk, there's way too many custom modifications and insecure settings on it to let it run wide open as a Plesk server...for example, I have 4 custom daemons and exec enabled in PHP...).

I kind of use Lily as a VPS with the understanding that users needing ASP.NET can share it. We have very few ASP.NET users, I think we have like 4-5 active ones at the moment. It supports .NET 4.8, .NET Core, and even Classic ASP (I have one user running a classic site).

If you want to try running your stuff there, let me know and I could create an account for you. There's no UI as Krydos said above, just FTP for files (and phpmyadmin for database access). You can configure a lot of IIS's settings using web.config files in your folders, but I'd need to set certain things up for you like server-wide changes (if they don't conflict with other users). You'll need to provide your own DNS since cPanel is gone (Cloudflare works fine with Lily). If you need email, you'd need to provide a mail server as well. Back in the cPanel days, I had Tommy configured to send Lily's mail, but I haven't figured out how to make that work with Plesk Tommy.

2 hours ago, wolstech said:

Plesk on Lily is going to be a nightmare considering the custom stuff running on that server (insomuch that my stuff will likely need to go elsewhere in order for it to eventually get Plesk, there's way too many custom modifications and insecure settings on it to let it run wide open as a Plesk server...for example, I have 4 custom daemons and exec enabled in PHP...).

I kind of use Lily as a VPS with the understanding that users needing ASP.NET can share it. We have very few ASP.NET users, I think we have like 4-5 active ones at the moment. It supports .NET 4.8, .NET Core, and even Classic ASP (I have one user running a classic site).

If you want to try running your stuff there, let me know and I could create an account for you. There's no UI as Krydos said above, just FTP for files (and phpmyadmin for database access). You can configure a lot of IIS's settings using web.config files in your folders, but I'd need to set certain things up for you like server-wide changes (if they don't conflict with other users). You'll need to provide your own DNS since cPanel is gone (Cloudflare works fine with Lily). If you need email, you'd need to provide a mail server as well. Back in the cPanel days, I had Tommy configured to send Lily's mail, but I haven't figured out how to make that work with Plesk Tommy.

Hi Wolstech! I appreciate your reply Thanks. after I read both replies from Krydos and you carfully, I think that I will keep going with Tommy for now and trying to install nopcommerce script (Linux version) there. I hope that I am on the correct way : ) .

9 hours ago, zgraphic said:

I think that I will keep going with Tommy for now and trying to install nopcommerce script (Linux version) there

I took a look at https://docs.nopcommerce.com/en/installation-and-upgrading/installing-nopcommerce/installing-on-linux.html and that's not going to run on Tommy with Plesk. On a shared server like that you don't have access to install random executables, and we're not going to be installing .Net Core for you.

Wolstech can take a look at the Windows install instructions https://docs.nopcommerce.com/en/installation-and-upgrading/installing-nopcommerce/installing-on-windows.html but I think that would work on Lily for free.

The other option is you can get a VPS to run that software, and that way you can install .NET Core and anything else you need because you have the whole server to yourself. This Linux VPS would run that software for only $4 per month. https://www.heliohost.org/vps/subscription/?mem=1&cpu=2&hdd=50&os=ubuntu20 You can save 10% if you pay for 6 months up front too.

That is interesting! Maybe I will start with VPS Plan ASAP.
Honestly, I need some time to complete some legal documents for my Non-profit project.
I will keep you informed until I be ready to start with VPS.
Thanks for replies and help!