vps dashboard login

jnorden

Is there something special we need to do in order to login to the new VPS dashboard?  When I try to login to heliohost.org, I just get the "Plesk ETA" screen.  Maybe it is because there is still a stale account for me on ricky - I can still get to it via sshfs.  You can completely delete that account if you like.  I'm not using it and I've backup up anything worth saving.

Thanks,

-Jeff

PS: Glad to see things are moving along!  Hope everyone is doing well.

There is no VPS Dashboard that I’m aware of.

Support and modifications for VPS are best handled by replying to the welcome email you received. One of our two admins who handle VPSes will respond to you.

To administer the VPS, you’d connect either via SSH (Linux) or RDP (Windows) using the credentials and IP in the welcome email.

4 hours ago, wolstech said:

There is no VPS Dashboard that I’m aware of.

On 7/16/2022 at 3:15 PM, Krydos said:

We've also added a very basic VPS dashboard which is mostly just links to post your support requests on the forum, but eventually you will be able upgrade your VPS, reinstall your OS, set up reverse DNS, cancel your subscription, and a lot more through the website.

6 hours ago, jnorden said:

Is there something special we need to do in order to login to the new VPS dashboard?

It looks like your Ricky account is registered to your ...jeff@gmail.com and your VPS is registered at your ...ejeff@gmail.com address. The reason you're getting the ETA page is probably because you're trying to log in with ...jeff@gmail.com is my guess. Since you don't need the Ricky account I can just delete it for you. You can also log in to VPS using your username which is jeff.

It's not particularly useful because it's mostly just links to post your support requests on the forum for now, but it helps give new users an idea of what is available. Also we have had quite a few users buy a VPS, not read the part about emailing them, and then expect to be able to log in immediately. With the VPS dashboard they can log in immediately like they expect to be able to and it shows them that their build is still in progress which reduces the confusion and support requests.

Kyrdos: Thanks for the info.  A few things came up and I didn't get a chance to check on this till now.  It took me a bit to figure out how to log in with ...ejeff@gmail.  I found the orig email from when the vps was set up, and that worked.

The overall dashboard layout looks good.  Obviously it will be more useful when things work automatically, but even the current links about opening support tickets are helpful.  The upgrade page is convenient for checking prices for different configurations (and even lets me know that I'm currently enjoying a "grandfathered" sale price).

Here are some ideas for down the road, if/when there is time to implement more features:

1.  Ability to reboot the vps and at least watch the console output during the reboot.  Doing a reboot via ssh is always a bit dicey, you just get disconnected and have to hope that no fatal error occurs during the boot.  Being able to interact with the console during reboot would obviously be quite helpful.
  2. Ability to change the email address and password for the vps account, similar to the helionet "account settings" page.
  3. Ability to add/delete foo.heliohost.us dns alias entries.  I seem to recall this was possible under cpanel, so it is probably possible from plesk as well.
  4. In addition to canceling a subscription, it would be nice to be able to change the payment source.  It would also be useful to be able to see the date when subscription is scheduled to renew.  Also, the upgrade option could provide a way to switch between the monthly and six-month subscription options.

Thanks again for all the work you guys are doing.  If there is something I can do to contribute to the efforts, please feel free to call on me.

-Jeff

4 hours ago, jnorden said:

Ability to reboot the vps and at least watch the console output during the reboot.

That feature is planned, but not implemented yet.

Ability to change the email address and password for the vps account, similar to the helionet "account settings" page.

The database actually has two email entries available for each VPS. One of the email addresses has to match your PayPal account email address to help match payments up with VPS accounts. That's a good idea that users could change their contact email address though, and log in with that instead.

Ability to add/delete foo.heliohost.us dns alias entries.  I seem to recall this was possible under cpanel, so it is probably possible from plesk as well.

I assume you're talking about the shared hosting dashboard now since you mention cPanel and Plesk, but the button is already in the shared hosting dashboard. It's just a link to post your request on the forum for now, but it will be automatic eventually. It would be useful for VPS users to add free heliohost.us type domains too though. Right now VPS users can get a free domain from us by just asking.

image.png.9587c9d078a1ef34c0ab037f188a85f0.png

In addition to canceling a subscription, it would be nice to be able to change the payment source.

I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure how useful it would be though. I don't think this feature would be used very often because you can just change the credit card attached to your PayPal account and that doesn't require anything on our end because it still comes from the same PayPal account.

5 hours ago, jnorden said:

It would also be useful to be able to see the date when subscription is scheduled to renew.

That's a good idea, and should be pretty easy to implement.

Also, the upgrade option could provide a way to switch between the monthly and six-month subscription options.

If you're on a 1 month plan this button appears for you.

image.png.6bd315859415c73bb2d867e8543a8b6a.png

Thanks again for all the work you guys are doing.

Yeah, a silver lining of losing our cPanel licenses is we've been able to basically start over from scratch and build everything back better than it was before. Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, that's it, thanks. 👍

I never use my email (any) to log into Plesk (or, before, cPanel), I've always used the username (infantx). I was kind of expecting to see a link to either dashboard when login in, or a different login page or link for the VPS. I was not aware that different emails were linked to the different services.

Regards,