VPS Sale Timeline

Krydos

We began offering VPS hosting in April 2018. As more and more VPS customers signed up we noticed that our hard drive speeds kept dipping lower and lower. By April 2020 things had gotten bad enough that we decided to start giving away 1 GB free memory on every VPS to help improve speeds, and started a fundraiser to buy some faster hard drives.

In August 2021 we finally got the new hard drives installed, and things improved considerably. By December 2021 we were certain that the hard drive speed issue was solved and our VPS service had gotten so popular that we had run out of space to create new servers. Since we had zero spare memory we decided it was time to end the 1 GB free memory sale which had been running for 20 months at that point. The VPS customers who already had the free 1 GB of memory were allowed to keep it, but the time has come for that to end now too.

Once again our VPS service has gotten so popular that we don't have any space left to create new VPS so it wouldn't be fair to turn people away, while at the same time giving away free memory to other people. As long as the memory wasn't being used anyways it was fine to give it away for free, but it's been a year since the sale ended so we're going to end the sale for the VPS that were grandfathered in to the old sale price as well. If your VPS has the old sale price still you'll have 2 options:

1. Continue paying the same amount you've always paid on the same subscription you've always used, but you'll have 1 GB less memory.
  2. Or begin paying the same fair price that everyone else pays for the memory that you've been enjoying for free for so long.

We will be emailing all of the affected customers to give them this choice as well. The default option will be #1 to continue on the existing payment subscription with 1 GB less memory unless we hear back from you wishing to continue with the same memory that you have now. When we started looking at the numbers we were quite surprised that there were so many customers still using the old sale price.  It's proof of how loyal our users are, and proof of how great of service we provide that so many people have stuck around for so long.

If you have any questions please let us know. Thanks for your understanding, and thanks for being part of the HelioHost community.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll run an analysis and see how much RAM my server is using; my guess is my team will choose to keep it for the upgraded amount since we can afford it at least for now.

By the way, I've noticed the price jump is significantly more when upgrading RAM than it is for storage or even CPU upgrades. Is this because CPUs scale better but RAM has to be added linearly each time, or something? (Just trying to understand how this works; it's a pattern I've noticed in other hosting providers too)