[Solved] Read-only filesystem; VPS unresponsive after restart

badrihippo

Hi,

I woke up this morning to find that my VPS had a "read-only filesystem". I tried rebooting (shutdown -r now) to see if it solved the issue, but now it's gone mostly unresponsive: I can ping it, but can't load pages or SSH in. Could you check the status and restore the system?

Domain: members.snipettemag.com (or hippo2.heliohost.org)
IP address: 64.71.156.101

I'm using a custom SSH port which I don't want to post in public; if you let me know where to send it I can give it to you.

I see other people have had similar problems (and I have, too, once) so I'm guessing this is a quick thing to solve? I don't remember what exactly happened last time, but I think it was essentially running fsck and then booting again. There are a few services to be started after boot, but if you get it to where I can SSH in, I can take it from there.

Thanks,
Badri

I just read something about a DDoS attack on Discord. I guess that's what must have triggered all this. Take your time then; I'll check back in a few hours and see if things have stabilised.

To add more information: when I try to SSH in I get the error,

ssh: connect to host members.snipettemag.com port [REDACTED]: Network is unreachable

curl on the other hand seems to be trying and then timing out,

curl: (7) Failed to connect to members.snipettemag.com port 80 after 394 ms: Connection refused

So (fromĀ  my limited knowledge) I guess it could be some kind of DDoS-triggered network failure?

It was an fsck issue; Krydos is resolving it on Discord. Not directly related to the DDoS though it could have been triggered by it!

Thanks Krydos, and mods please mark this topic closed :)