Post your PC's config

nilayz

Wow... some nice specs out there. Here's mine (a year-and-half old):

Intel PIV 2.8GHz HT

Intel 865GBF mobo

80GB Samsung HDD

256MB DDR (16MB Shared Video) - getting another 256 in a week (hope so!)

16X Samsung DVD ROM

52-24-52 Samsung CD Writer

LG 17" Flatron CRT

2 different set of speakers which I converted to quadrophonic system

• 2 months later...

Advent: T9306

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 650 Processor with HT 3.4GHz

DVD/CD RW: Dual Layer DVD Rewriter

Hard Disk: 360GB (7200 RPM)

Memory: 2048 DDR2 533MHz (2GB Dual Channel)

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X600 256MB PCI

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2)

Monitor: Xerox 19" LCD

Allright, just out of curiosity, have you ever seen a double layer DVD+/-R/RW? I bought a double layer writer as well, just for that purpose, but I have never seen writable media for it.

All this typically means is that is what it is capable of doing. You just need to buy eith CD Rewriteable discs or DVD Rewriteable discs.

Yeah, but theres supposed to be dvd's that have two layers of data, doubling it's capacity. I have cd-r/rw's and dvd-r's, but I dont have and have never seen dual layer DVD's.

All this typically means is that is what it is capable of doing.  You just need to buy eith CD Rewriteable discs or DVD Rewriteable discs.

Yeah, but theres supposed to be dvd's that have two layers of data, doubling it's capacity. I have cd-r/rw's and dvd-r's, but I dont have and have never seen dual layer DVD's.

Pretty much all DVD burner drives now have this capability. But in terms of the media, I've seen for sure at CompUSA, Fry's, and Best Buy.

You have quite a few good things on your system, however, it misses it's full potential with that old Radeon X600. Although you have twice as much ran as me(and you're processor is 1GHZ faster, but the efficiency difference between AMD and Intel would make ours approximately equal), and faster ram, my computer with it's GeForce 7800GT is gonna get higher benchmark scores, higher game FPS, and for most things be faster. Although yours would outpreform my new one in certain tasks, such as compiling large programs and such. I do reccommend a Video Card upgrade, however. You can get a 7800GT for $300 now(GTX is about $600), plus about $5 s/h from newegg.com, and likely many other retailers. Even one with a Factory OC. Or a 6600GT for about $130. Or, if you want to stick with ATI, you can get an X800GT for about $180. That video card is really damaging your computer's true abilities.

Letsee... my new not crap computer is:

AMD Athlon 64 3200(2.4GHZ OC, and not running much hotter)

1Gig(1024mb) of Patriot Signature® brand Ram(DDR400, 2.5 latency)

nVidia GeForce 7800GT

250Gig SATA HD

ASUS AI Proactive Series nForce4 Mobo(A8N-E)

16X Lite-on DVD-ROM Drive

if you want a more detailed description, you can read my post in "Gifties" Topic, or on KL.

This, with an upgraded GFX card, is what I'm planning to get:

http://emachines.com/products/products.htm...eMachines_T6524

Thats pretty sweet, and pretty cheap. I'm kinda wary of PCI video cards... but whatever. Anyways, shows how much prices are going down. I paid a little over a grand for my:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.81GHz

512 MB RAM

MSI Radeon 9250 AGP 128MB

150 GB Hard Disk

Sony DVD+/-RW DL

The CyberPower XBlade case w/ temp panel/fan controls

One of them 8-in-one flash media drives

A floppy drive

And a 19"-ish ViewSonic UltraBrite E70f+ moniter

I'm lookin to double my ram, upgrade my video card and my CPU.

I was going to do the same until I realized how outdated my motherboard was. It'll be pretty hard to upgrade something with it. And BTW, the GPU on the comp I wanna buy is PCI Express, not PCI. PCI Express is the newest technology - newer than AGP.

I wish they would stop doing that. I got a 99 instead of a 100 in basic comp hardware freshmen year cuz for the final there was some obscure uber-old pci-style slot on a motherboard that I didnt know what the hell it was.

Eh... Just read PC World's take on it. Yeah, 4GB/s is pretty sweet, but there arent any cards that are going to make any big difference. Its a cool thing to think about for the future, if they ever get to the point that AGP doesnt cut it, you could upgrade to a PCIe card that will, but right now theres no reason to go for it.

Edited by HerLoss