djbob being stupid

Ashoat

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...) or you just expect too much for something that you're getting for free.

I don't know why you rub on our faces the whole "for free" thing.

Surely you have done volunteer work before, I imagine, feeding people on Africa; or maybe taking meds to poorer countries; who knows you joined a group to construct homes for the homeless ones; or maybe sewing clothing and collecting toys to needy people who have nothing... or perhaps, you have studied about the US "benefactors" that donated Native Americans some blankets full of viruses that killed half of that tribe. Or maybe you have needed food stamps the US government (and on other countries) give for free to help out poorer families.

If that is so, let me ask you something.

Just because it is "for free", do you think it is OK to give, or even worse, to RECEIVE, rotten food, bad medication, broken toys, clothing with holes, broken products, toothpaste gone bad?

Mate, no one here is COMPLAINING of the services you give for FREE. That's not the point. The point is, even if it is free, it would be nice some quality or reliability. Because not even the most needy people wants, or needs, bad products and services just because it's FREE.

I am grateful for the service; I usually use a service for 3 months and if I like, I am happy to PAY, or contribute in any manner, including donating servers or services and going for volunteer work. Unfortunately however, a month broken is a bit over there, even for a FREE service.

Since freedom of speech is granted by law, and at least in my country applied to good and the bad alike, I am NOT going to say what you want to hear, I am NOT sorry for the honesty, and if it wounds you somehow, please feel free to remove me. Otherwise, once I have stated exactly what I think, I'll remain waiting to update my site, just like everyone else here.

1) There is no country that guarantees the "Freedom of Speech" you believe in. We are within our full right to delete any posts of yours if we feel like it. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can go into somebody's house and start yelling whatever you like.

2) I'll admit that your comment wasn't so bad, but quite honestly I can see how Wizard would be bothered by it. Considering we spend hours each day volunteering our time I think it's fair to say that the frustration builds up for us. We're doing our best, and we'd like that to be enough.

I guess what really irks us is people expecting more from us. We do our best, and if that's not enough we'd appreciate that you at least try to not rub it in.

Hahaha, wow....

Well, let me be honest here. I think what Trish is saying is that, as it says on heliohost.org's opening page:

"You know that old saying: "You get what you pay for?" Well, HelioHost is changing that around"

I think she feels that there is some falling short of that promise.

In my opinion, Heliohost.org is an excellent product, with great possibilities and has a lot of potential to change the internet hosting market. And there isn't much to be done about a DDoS attack; it's just a modern reality of this computer age we live in. Sure, it's an inconvenience to everyone with hosting here, but I can imagine it's more of an inconvenience for the people who have to fix it.

(...) or you just expect too much for something that you're getting for free.

I don't know why you rub on our faces the whole "for free" thing.

Surely you have done volunteer work before, I imagine, feeding people on Africa; or maybe taking meds to poorer countries; who knows you joined a group to construct homes for the homeless ones; or maybe sewing clothing and collecting toys to needy people who have nothing... or perhaps, you have studied about the US "benefactors" that donated Native Americans some blankets full of viruses that killed half of that tribe. Or maybe you have needed food stamps the US government (and on other countries) give for free to help out poorer families.

If that is so, let me ask you something.

Just because it is "for free", do you think it is OK to give, or even worse, to RECEIVE, rotten food, bad medication, broken toys, clothing with holes, broken products, toothpaste gone bad?

Mate, no one here is COMPLAINING of the services you give for FREE. That's not the point. The point is, even if it is free, it would be nice some quality or reliability. Because not even the most needy people wants, or needs, bad products and services just because it's FREE.

I am grateful for the service; I usually use a service for 3 months and if I like, I am happy to PAY, or contribute in any manner, including donating servers or services and going for volunteer work. Unfortunately however, a month broken is a bit over there, even for a FREE service.

Since freedom of speech is granted by law, and at least in my country applied to good and the bad alike, I am NOT going to say what you want to hear, I am NOT sorry for the honesty, and if it wounds you somehow, please feel free to remove me. Otherwise, once I have stated exactly what I think, I'll remain waiting to update my site, just like everyone else here.

You are making this seem like this is a horrible service because it went down once or twice. The issue here is a DDoS attack. Those affect even the largest of sites. For example, Twitter recently underwent a series of these attacks. I don't hear you complaining about that. If a website goes down, you just have to be patient. This website is reliable. It is just getting over an attack, so you need to be well informed before you go get mad at a volunteer for a site that is bringing you service that is not free many other places. You are luckly to be using HelioHost.

Okay, so I'm slicing my estimate. Maybe Saturday? Basically, there are three steps:

1) Find potentially offending data [done].

2) Process data into categories of accounts [done].

3) Move each category to its own IP [script currently running].

4) Get datacenter to unblock the old IP.

Note to self: don't forget to change the main account IP back and reenable the signup script.