[Solved] Server Outage?

Looks like it's the fault of:

1) Spammers taking up the mailqueue.

2) One of my cron scripts taking too long to run.

I'll look into it.

Just glanced at the server status again and more ugliness =/

Not completely sure how to interpret all the warnings tho. Got a minute to explain what the warnings and other symbols signify?

boxx

So I rewrote the nightly cron script in Ruby. Took me a while to rewrite the HelioHost infrastructure in Ruby, but I've tested this script and it looks like a serious improvement. Though it takes more than twice the old script's RAM (1 GiB), it only takes about 15 minutes of CPU time.

I'll take a look at the mail problems next. I've already disabled SMTP-after-POP authentication for improved tracking.

UPDATE

Okay, I suspended a bunch of spammers. The mailqueue is now down to around 1500 emails (it was at around 120000 emails last Monday).

So I rewrote the nightly cron script in Ruby. Took me a while to rewrite the HelioHost infrastructure in Ruby, but I've tested this script and it looks like a serious improvement. Though it takes more than twice the old script's RAM (1 GiB), it only takes about 15 minutes of CPU time.

I'll take a look at the mail problems next. I've already disabled SMTP-after-POP authentication for improved tracking.

UPDATE

Okay, I suspended a bunch of spammers. The mailqueue is now down to around 1500 emails (it was at around 120000 emails last Monday).

Sounds like you've been busy :) Glad to hear you're making progress to improve the server stability. It's unfortunate that people feel the need to abuse such a great free service, but the rest of us appreciate all the work you put into keeping things running as smoothly as possible.

I saw mention of an additional server being added in the near future maybe? I can't seem to find the post again...

boxx

I saw mention of an additional server being added in the near future maybe? I can't seem to find the post again...

boxx

That should happen within the next 3 months if all goes well and we should be able to offer more features.