Psp vs DS

chrisc

i'm pretty sure i read something about that at ign. they also said that all sony and microsoft are doing is throwing out big numbers to impress people instead of focusing more on the games.

edit:here we go i found something:

”while some of our competitors enjoy comparing specifications, it has little or nothing to do with how satisfied the consumers will be with the system and the games once they are released…I know people are hungry for information on Revolution and we respect and appreciate that, but we don’t want to contribute to the cloud of meaningless information that surrounds the next generation systems.”

linkie

there's also some good replys from readers that'd even humble myscrnnm (maybe (quote them and give it a try))

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, supposedly the revolution is supposed to have chips designated for each component of the game instead of having one main processing unit. Like, a chip for physics, a chip for AI, a chip for graphics, etc. Again, something I've heard on a few podcasts.

This is all I have at the moment:

(from http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050923-5344.html )

The brains of the console are rumored to be a single dual-threaded IBM "custom" PowerPC 2.5 GHz CPU, with 256 KB L1 cache and 1 MB of L2 cache (L3 cache is rumored). The system will also sport a Physical Processing Chip (PPU) with 32MB of dedicated RAM, while the CPU itself will saddled up next to 512MB of system RAM. The custom ATI GPU solution is rumored to consist of a RN520 600MHz core, backed with 256MB of RAM and "32 parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines." While the output will theoretically be capable of putting out 1080p resolution (higher even, at 2048x1268), Solo says that HD support has not yet been decided (which fits with Nintendo's own comments).

Nintendo of America's Sales Director(Reggie Fils-amie(sp?)) has stated that the Revolution Specs wont be revealed until the system comes out. He did, however, state the system would be on-par in graphical capabilites of the PS3. The Xbox 360 is never mentioned. Nintendo, somewhere around E3, confirmed that they wouldn't be putting in HD output. This will keep the cost down. In fact, when they removed it from the gamecube, they chopped about $30 or so off the price. And, really, less than 1% of video gamers actually use HD output.

Heh, he'd say Sony would do it.

Of course, if you read the fine print, you'd know that:

It isn't cheap

And the "Superprocessor" is like having the fastest car ever, and then putting it in a traffic jam(IE, low cache space).

Physics chips are out for PC's, however, many games and applications don't take advantage of them. Eventually, though, we may be seeing some integrated into our motherboards like 3D Graphics chipsets. Of course, if some major game company came out with something like this, it would spread like a wildfire. As for AI chips, they are unlikely. AI really doesn't take up much processor power, and we've got 3.0ghz processors commonplace(or 1.8ghz equivelents from AMD that are more efficient). We can run fine without AI or Physics chips. The physics chip may greatly increase the power for a lowered price, however ;)

Yeah, supposedly the revolution is supposed to have chips designated for each component of the game instead of having one main processing unit. Like, a chip for physics, a chip for AI, a chip for graphics, etc. Again, something I've heard on a few podcasts.

That would supposedly give it processing power of the others, since each chip would be dedicated on it's specific task O.o

It might give programmers hell though.

I think that the DS is way much better. First of all, it's price. Secondly if you have some old games from your SP or ADVANCE you can use them. The DS has a messenging system which is very useful, and one of my favorites, a touch pad. Some DS games even allow speach recognition to play the game. FUN FUN FUN!!! ON the other hand the PSP is not so good. Yes, it can play movies and can be used as an mp3 player, but it's heavy. The price is not worth it. This is one of the reasons why I do not like this. And when you buy the PSP you'll also have to start a new gaming category, buying and wasting money on games that you might have in your old SP or ADVANCE. These are some of the many reasons why I prefer to have a DS. :lol:

I think that the DS is way much better. First of all, it's price. Secondly if you have some old games from your SP or ADVANCE you can use them. The DS has a messenging system which is very useful, and one of my favorites, a touch pad. Some DS games even allow speach recognition to play the game. FUN FUN FUN!!! ON the other hand the PSP is not so good. Yes, it can play movies and can be used as an mp3 player, but it's heavy. The price is not worth it. This is one of the reasons why I do not like this. And when you buy the PSP you'll also have to start a new gaming category, buying and wasting money on games that you might have in your old SP or ADVANCE. These are some of the many reasons why I prefer to have a DS. :lol:

First of all, the price alone doesn't determine the value of the product. I mean, sure, at $130, it's $120 less than the PSP mobile entertainment system, but is it a better value? Definitely not. It's like comparing a Ford Focus to a Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The S-Class might cost more than twice as much as the Focus, but it is a much better value. It's more reliable, and features more features. Secondly, you can't just say that the DS is better than the PSP mobile entertainment system cuz it has backwards compatibility. I mean, SCEI is just starting out in the mobile gaming market, so you have to cut them some slack. If everyone compared the two platforms like that, then Sony would be in even more of a pickle. Also, what is this, "the PSP is not so good" crap?! For what it packs, it's not that heavy. I mean, a UMD drive, Memory Stick Duo slot, 4.3" transreflective TFT, analog nub, et cetera. You can't possibly expect Sony, or anyone else for that matter, to pack all that stuff into one device and have it much smaller than it already is. And it is heavy for its size because it uses higher quality components than the DS. The DS uses mostly cheap plastic while the PSP has many durable metal parts. And this "price is not worth it" crap is just excrement! I mean, sure, the PSP is $250, but you are getting a high quality Japanese made product here! A lot of effort was put into making this device. And it takes a lot of planning to devise such a fine craft. And when you buy games for the PSP, it is not a mere waste of money. I mean, the SP and Advance are using two dimensional plains. The PSP can allow you to move in three dimensions. Not to mention it has Playstation 2 calibre graphics and processing power. And most of its games weren't even on the Gayboy. I mean, with games like Star Wars: Battlefront II, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, 007: From Russia With Love, these are high-quality games not found on the Gayboy. These are some of the many reasons why you should not prefer to have a DS. :lol: