[Solved] Internal Server Error

7thsage

Is there a way to detected what caused the 500 error?

Because I get a 500 error most of the time when I open the cPanel and when I try to access the site in a different tab.

Or is this normal?

Thanks,

Tjoene

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately not. If you use a color code editor, it could help you identify mistakes.

If the Internal Server Errors are occurring on the simplest of pages even when the server load is low, let me know and I'll check it out. ;)

Another reason of 500 Internal Server Errors is a programming error, either in the file itself or the .htaccess file.

Uh oh, it could have been that I mucked with my .htaccess... :unsure: Can you please tell me what the pristine .htaccess should look like?

You really don't have to have .htaccess files, so If you don't need them, delete them.

Can you please take a look at my account? I deletede the .htaccess, and now this simple Perl script, http://www.olego.com/footer.pl, is failing to execute:

#! /usr/bin/perl -w

use strict; 
use CGI;

my $query = new CGI;

print $query->header("text/html");

print <<"END";
</div>
</body>
</html>
END

:huh:

Guest Geoff
You really don't have to have .htaccess files, so If you don't need them, delete them.

You needed that .htaccess file. Create a new one with this code:

Options +ExecCGI

AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl

You needed that .htaccess file. Create a new one with this code:

Options +ExecCGI

AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl

He shouldn't need that. Both servers are setup to run cgi files in any directory.

Really? I thought you could only run them in cgi-bin by default.

It's been that way on Stevie ever since it was set up, but I don't think djbob is aware of it being that way on Johnny because he asked some poster if his cgi file was in his cgi-bin. I rather like it that way myself. :)

Make sure your permissions for that file are 755.
Verified that they are. Still Error 500.

Create a new one with this code:...
I restored the original .htaccess, and added these two lines to it. Still Error 500. I even copied the script into cgi-bin and ran it from there--same Error 500.

Running scripts stopped working yesterday morning... "Yesterday" being Wednesday. Is Perl running fine on other sites that Stevie hosts?