Power disruption

Ashoat

Sorry for the couple hours of downtime, guys. Apparently there was a power fluctuation at the datacenter. Stevie and Johnny have some ext2 partitions (for efficiency's sake), so they're still running fsck to check and correct disk corruption. Here's the email I got from the parent provider:

At approximately 3am this morning there was a power disruption at H.E. Fremont I. I am still awaiting more details from the H.E. NOC as to cause, but it appears to have lasted for about 45 minutes. As our network originates in Fremont I, connectivity for clients in Fremont II was also affected by this incident.

Service has been restored and all LIS networking equipment is up and running; clients in Fremont II do not need to take any further action. Clients in Fremont I who are having issues connecting to their equipment should email support@he.net with a remote hands request to inspect and/or reboot their servers. Be sure to include your cabinet number and equipment labeling in the request, and include "URGENT, please expedite, Fremont I remote hands needed" in the subject line. Please be advised that the current workload at Fremont I is probably high and you any want to consider visiting the facility instead, if it is feasible for you to do so.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, and I will pass along H.E.'s statement once I receive it.

Johnny should be up shortly, but Stevie will take a while. He will probably be up sometime tonight.

Tank you for all your effort and time.

Hello. Is there an ETA on when Stevie will be back up? What is the state of Stevie right now?

Thanks to add the admins working hard to getting things back to normal.

Is there an ETA on when Stevie will be back up? What is the state of Stevie right now?
Johnny should be up shortly, but Stevie will take a while. He will probably be up sometime tonight.

Sorry, but we can't give a better estimate than what djbob posted. fsck is a long process, and it is impossible for us to provide an exact estimate. ;)

Please be patient in this rare situation. ;)

Is it possible that I get his error:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111 in /home/urarcade/public_html/config.php on line 9

Could not connect: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111

because of this power disruption? This error started to show up 2 days ago, but earlier site was working perfectly.

P.S. My site is hosted elsewhere, but the MySQL db is hosted on your hosting (stevie)

I'm not sure if it's related but I tried several times yesterday and couldn't access the forum. I kept getting the message "server doesn't exist" or something like that. Of course yesterday was Friday the 13th, so maybe that was it. Anyway, it's up and accessible this morning.

That might be due to some temporary outages on Cody. We're not sure what is causing this and we have already done some work on Cody to improve his performance ;)

Check out the stats here: http://grd.net.pl/heliohost/monitor

Also, when the name server section is red, the whole of HelioHost (Cody/Stevie/Johnny) goes down.

Here is the HelioHost family tree:

-Stevie (Hosts websites, doesn't run dangerous services, more stable than Johnny, more accounts hosted than Johnny)

-Charlie (Name of the server which runs Cody and Johnny, multiple purposes)

--Johnny (Hosts websites, runs dangerous services, less stable than Stevie, less accounts hosted than Stevie)

--Cody (Hosts main HelioHost homepage and HelioNet forums, hosts scripts, hosts essential nameservers)

Note that on Cody I mentioned that it hosts essential nameservers. That means Cody is in charge of everyone's domain. So if Cody and the nameservers go down, so does Stevie and Johnny.