Discussion about post benefits.

kingdragonz

yeah just 400 post,

:D

I'm starting to realize the downside of requiring certain post counts to unlock certain benefits. Perhaps it should be 20 posts of 20 words or more for wiki access, and 400 posts of 20 words or more for a url? Of course some people are just noisy and use too many words to say nothing, and some people cut right to the point with a minimum of words. (I don't think I fall into the latter category unfortunately.)

Guest Geoff

I'm forking this topic to keep threads on-topic.

Well, there is really no practical way we can do this. There is no special "Average words per post" that we can look at. I know I don't have the time to read 20 posts to make sure that they're legitimate.

People who stay around for 400 posts learn to post meaningful things (hopefully early). It's true that there's a certain amount of useless posts at first. That's why the post count for a free domain is so high.

Also, is this suppose to be in mod discussion? The people who brought this up won't be able to see it.

Guest Geoff

I had moved this to the 'contact helionet' section. I really don't think we need a 'contributors discussion'; just post in the 'contact helionet' section.

I'm forking this topic to keep threads on-topic.

Sorry for getting things off topic.

I just saw him get denied wiki access, and then a couple hours later there were like 15 three word posts. I couldn't decide whether to laugh at him or get frustrated by the pointless spam. Perhaps I should have just kept quiet about it. I'm fairly new, and I'm sure it happens every couple months.

There is an average posts per day feature on everyone's profile. Perhaps we could use that?

I dunno. Some people could be really helpful for a couple weeks and constantly post useful stuff and then disappear for a couple months. Average posts wouldn't really be much fairer of a measure as total post counts.

Well, there is really no practical way we can do this. There is no special "Average words per post" that we can look at. I know I don't have the time to read 20 posts to make sure that they're legitimate.

There really isn't with the current set up. Everyone is a volunteer anyways so it's silly to assume that anyone should have to read through all of a users posts to make sure they are all worthwhile. Perhaps the pointless spam posts can just be deleted, or does that not decrease the post count?

On a forum I used to moderate we had a hidden admin folder called "Deleted" where we would put all the deleted posts rather than actually deleting them so that user's post counts would be retained and if we ever needed to dig up a good quote to remind people how they had broken rules in the past.

Also, is this suppose to be in mod discussion? The people who brought this up won't be able to see it.

I was wondering where my post had gotten whisked off to. I guess it's good news that I started a meaningful discussion rather than upsetting everyone though. :unsure:

I think the best option would be if each post had a thumbs up thumbs down for usefulness and that way the spam posts would get thumbed down into oblivion. Probably way more work than it's worth though. Overall I would guess that the 400 limit seems much more than any spammer could ever manage to get away with, but the 25 post seems a lot more within reach.

Guest Geoff
On a forum I used to moderate we had a hidden admin folder called "Deleted" where we would put all the deleted posts rather than actually deleting them so that user's post counts would be retained and if we ever needed to dig up a good quote to remind people how they had broken rules in the past.

Yes, we have this, but I rarely go and dig through old posts.

I think the best option would be if each post had a thumbs up thumbs down for usefulness and that way the spam posts would get thumbed down into oblivion. Probably way more work than it's worth though. Overall I would guess that the 400 limit seems much more than any spammer could ever manage to get away with, but the 25 post seems a lot more within reach.

Well, this is actually a feature in IPB 3.1. Problem is, djbob is really busy so he has not had time to port the helionet theme to our purchased copy of IPB 3.1. We also have some other features that are waiting on this, but I guess we'll just have to wait.

In this version, there is still something called a 'warn level', and sometimes I use that, but it's only for mods. I'm hesitant to start threatening to kick people off the board because they posted 3 word posts. It's bad, but not that bad (at least in my opinion).

You have to remember that domains are not free. Getting 200 posts is twice as easy as 400 which means HelioHost has to pay for a lot more domains. Remember this is free... HelioHost isn't making money from this service, but they are spending it for TLDs which means it is all out of pocket for djbob, the root admin.

There is an average posts per day feature on everyone's profile. Perhaps we could use that?

Yeah. When I signed up to HelioNet, I was inactive for like half a year. That's why my average post count is 2.