Punishment.!!!

Punishment.!!!  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Even tho we use punishment as a way to control people... etc... i dont thank anybody deserves punishment... do you.???

Edit:::

If ther are any further replys to this thred... please keep in mind that the "Intended topic for discussion" is whether or not a person can "deserve" punishment.!!!

Guest Geoff

Well, punishment is currently the only way to ensure correct behavior and correct functioning of society. I agree; however I still think punishment is necessary until a better way is developed (mind control maybe). If hypnotism was used to "punish" people (hypnotizing them to behave well), that might be a viable alternative. However, some experimentation would need to be done first before concluding any new way would be safe and effective.

Guest Geoff
I agree; however I still think punishment is necessary until a better way is developed (mind control maybe).

Punishment is barbaric; it's about getting revenge on someone else. I don't think people "deserve" any punishment, but it is of course in human nature to get revenge. However, the problem is this: there needs to be a way to keep people acting civilized, otherwise anarchy is created. Therefore, punishment is the only way to "control" people until a better way is developed.

You make the question too simple. Punishment should be done away with, but only when there is a better replacement. The objective here is not to create more suffering and harm, but to prevent further suffering and harm in the future. If someone has done something bad, and nothing is done about it, then they could just do it again. If that kept happening, something would break eventually.

I don't think people "deserve" any punishment

Then we agree on the issue of this thred.!!!

...it is of course in human nature to get revenge. However, the problem is this: there needs to be a way to keep people acting civilized, otherwise anarchy is created. Therefore, punishment is the only way to "control" people until a better way is developed.

I thank its crucial that the foundation of "a better way" includes the understandin that punishment is never deserved.!!!

Yes. Unless you believe in chaos you should too. It's how severe for the type of crime is the true question. Say someone steals. A fine/restitution, jail, loss of limb/s or death.

Hypnosis or mind control is also a form of punishment. It's a threat. Do what I want or someone will control how you think.

Or are you asking if people believe in the death penalty?

Do you thank som people deserve punishment.???

Yes. Unless you believe in chaos you should too.

Whether or not punishment is necesary to avoid chaos is irrelevent to the issue of this thred. !!!

My queston is... is punishment ever deserved.???

It's how severe for the type of crime is the true question. Say someone steals. A fine/restitution, jail, loss of limb/s or death.

So what punishment do you thank woud be deserved for a starvin child who steals a slice of bread.???

Hypnosis or mind control is also a form of punishment. It's a threat. Do what I want or someone will control how you think.

I agree.!!!

Or are you asking if people believe in the death penalty?

No.!!!

Whether or not punishment is necesary to avoid chaos is irrelevent to the issue of this thred. !!!

But when you're talking about something, the reasons it exists must be taken into consideration. If punishment did nothing and served no purpose, then it would be absurd, but there is a reason and serves a purpose.

i dont thank anybody deserves punishment... do you.???

Yes. Everyone deserves punishment. It is part of the basic fabric of how the world works.

Take punishment in it's most basic form. Pain. Why does pain exist? To let an organism know that something is wrong. Why does an organism need to know something is wrong? If it didn't understand that something was harming it then it would quickly cease to exist. If a species existed that couldn't feel pain and couldn't experience any kind of punishment it wouldn't mind getting eaten, or it wouldn't understand the pain of being hungry and would not seek sustenance to continue living.

If you hit yourself with a hammer it's going to hurt, and you're going to learn a lesson from the pain. If you are a successful organism with your own best interest in mind you're going to try to avoid hitting yourself with a hammer in the future because it was an unpleasant experience. At a lower level your body knows that taking that kind of damage constantly will eventually kill you or at least maim you enough to reduce your chances of finding food and water or reproducing.

One (of the many) problems with the world is that our so-called "punishment" isn't actually a punishment. Many many people prefer to be living in jail because they don't have to worry about a job or bills or reality really. They just sit in a box all day and lift weights and have a very structured existence and when we try to thrust them back into reality they can't cope at all anymore and end up going right back into jail.

---

Haha, just noticed. This is my 100th post. What a silly topic to end up being #100...

Guest Geoff

Depends on how the receiver looks at it. If someone wants to redeem themselves after doing something bad, and the only way to redeem themselves it through submitting to mind control, then it's not really punishment.

Consider this: if someone goes to prison, they could come back out wanting revenge on the person who sent them there. However, if mind control was used, the person wouldn't go to prison and waste his life away, and wouldn't want revenge on the person who sent him there.

Yes. Unless you believe in chaos you should too. It's how severe for the type of crime is the true question. Say someone steals. A fine/restitution, jail, loss of limb/s or death.

I agree somewhat with you here. I can't emphasize enough that punishment should become obsolete only when a better alternative is formed. Some people just want to change things, and don't have a better solution to replace the old solution. I stated this earlier and I'm stating it again, to clarify my position on this.

Punishment should be done away with, but only when there is a better replacement.

But when you're talking about something, the reasons it exists must be taken into consideration. If punishment did nothing and served no purpose, then it would be absurd, but there is a reason and serves a purpose.

If a King woud give starvin people food if they punished you (a person innocent of any crimes/wrong doin) wit 40 lashes... woud you deserve that punishment.???

If a King woud give starvin people food if they punished you (a person innocent of any crimes/wrong doin) wit 40 lashes... woud you deserve that punishment.???

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you did nothing wrong, why would you be punished?

I can't emphasize enough that punishment should become obsolete only when a better alternative is formed. Some people just want to change things, and don't have a better solution to replace the old solution. I stated this earlier and I'm stating it again, to clarify my position on this.

Punishment should be done away with, but only when there is a better replacement.

I agree wit that... so how did you voat in the Poll... Yes... or No.???

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you did nothing wrong, why would you be punished?

Mayb the King is "crazy"... regardless... its a strate forward hypothetical scenerio i set up... ie... if you gettin punished means that many starvin people will be fed... did you deserve the punishment you received.???

i dont thank anybody deserves punishment... do you.???

Yes. Everyone deserves punishment. It is part of the basic fabric of how the world works.

If a 2 year old child is told not to play wit matches... an they play wit matches anyway an catch on fire an dye... did they deserve the firy death they received.???

Do you thank som people deserve punishment.???

Yes. Unless you believe in chaos you should too.

c2s

It's how severe for the type of crime is the true question. Say someone steals. A fine/restitution, jail, loss of limb/s or death.

So what punishment do you thank woud be deserved for a starvin child who steals a slice of bread.???

Did you answr the above queston.???