Punishment.!!!

Punishment.!!!  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If a King woud give starvin people food if they punished you (a person innocent of any crimes/wrong doin) wit 40 lashes... woud you deserve that punishment.???

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you did nothing wrong, why would you be punished?

Mayb the King is "crazy"... regardless... its a strate forward hypothetical scenerio i set up... ie... if you gettin punished means that many starvin people will be fed... did you deserve the punishment you received.???

That isn't really punishment. According to Dictionary.com, to punish is "to subject to pain, loss, confinement, death, etc., as a penalty for some offense, transgression, or fault." This situation does not match that definition as it is not a penalty for an offense.

If a King woud give starvin people food if they punished you (a person innocent of any crimes/wrong doin) wit 40 lashes... woud you deserve that punishment.???

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you did nothing wrong, why would you be punished?

Mayb the King is "crazy"... regardless... its a strate forward hypothetical scenerio i set up... ie... if you gettin punished means that many starvin people will be fed... did you deserve the punishment you received.???

That isn't really punishment. According to Dictionary.com, to punish is "to subject to pain, loss, confinement, death, etc., as a penalty for some offense, transgression, or fault." This situation does not match that definition as it is not a penalty for an offense.

Not all punishments are condidered "just" by all people... som may thank an "offense" had been comited an som may not... an lke i said... mayb the King was "crazy"... but regardless... whether the punishment was just or not... did you deserve the 40 lashes.???

I just said that it isn't "punishment" if there is no cause.

Also... "punishment" is defined as Severe treatment.!!!

http://www.bennetyee.org/http_webster.cgi?...mp;method=exact

4. Severe, rough, or disastrous treatment. [Colloq. or Slang] [Webster 1913 Suppl.]

But rather than pontlesly argue about that... i will set up anuther scenerio that will meet you'r definition of punishment so you can answr my hypothetical queston.!!!

You offended the King because you have blond hare an the punishment was 40 lashes... did you deserve the punishment you received.???

You offended the King because you have blond hare an the punishment was 40 lashes... did you deserve the punishment you received.???

No. One cannot control his or her hair color (well, natural hair color), so that is unjust and undeserved.

One also cant control the genes they was borned wit or the enviroment they was borned into... ie... no free will (unfluenced choises)... so wit-out free will... how can anyone deserve punishment in a deterministic universe.???

Guest Geoff

The problem with punishment is that it is not very efficient. Consider this: George does something bad and he is punished. This punishment of George takes away from the time he could be helping society. George must be made to not do any other bad action again (otherwise chaos is created), but putting George in jail for a couple of years is expensive and actually takes away from society. Instead, if George could be made to try his best not to do the bad action again, then he could benefit society instead of just sitting in jail. This brings up another flaw in punishment: there is no guarantee that the punished individual is remorseful for his/her actions. They could just end up mad with the person who punished them, and blame the punishment instead of themselves.

Jail can be quite ineffective. If you've ever seen the movie The Shawshank Redemption, through the character Red among others, you can see how ineffective prison is (until the end of the movie, because it is Hollywood and needs a happy ending). Many characters in the movie learn to live in prison and some even prefer it to being released back into society and having to work, pay bills, etc. On the other hand, there are those who would do anything to not be in prison and therefore jail would reform them. It really is a paradoxical and difficult situation. Everyone is different, which makes punishment, and many other things, extremely difficult to handle.

• 1 month later...

Yes.

The purpose of punishment is to "teach", one way or another, the other to behave like you want, or the group wants. Human children are treated exactly the same as any animals pups, cubs, or whatever would be. They are taught their morals and how to behave.

Naturally, the same also applies to those that are adults, it is just mostly harder to convince them of taking a different standpoint.