[Solved] [Suggestion] CloudFlare

Tjoene

CloudFlare Poll  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm trying to set up a proof of concept with this to see how it works with forums and non-forums on HH's system. However, cPanel is crying like a kid who just lost his balloon and won't let me add my test domain as an addon domain. Can someone with root access on the server address this error:

Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 208.76.62.100,208.76.61.100 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

Server: Johnny

Domain: thehosthelper.uni.cc

DNS: ivan.ns.cloudflare.com, lisa.ns.cloudflare.com

I know the error message is reporting me using incorrect NS entries. Problem is my test domain was pointed at another server and I am trying to transfer it here. Since adding an addon domain takes time here (and is not instant), I am trying to cut down on waiting time by adding it while waiting for DNS to transfer.

Thanks.

Guest Geoff

Be patient. The only thing I could do would be to manually add your entry to http.conf, but it would just be erased in 24 hours. It's not going to kill you waiting for your domain to transfer here.

I didn't need you to add the domain for me, I needed you to add my remote DNS servers to the file /etc/ip.remotedns so that it would allow me to add my extra domain.

Nevermind then. I'll just wait.

It should be noted that this is impossible to set up on Heliohost.org or user's with *.heliohost.org subdomains. It is also a real pain if you use an extra domain.

Reason:

You must change your DNS settings to point to cloudflare's DNS servers so that they can direct user's to the closest cached content (to increase load times). Since HelioHost subdomains are dependent upon being able to update DNS as new accounts are created, DNS records will not be created for new accounts on Cloudflare's DNS infrastructure. Hence, these sites will not come online because of a lack of DNS records. CloudFlare does not "resync" with other name servers on a daily/hourly/weekly/whatever basis so an admin would have to manually go in and add all subdomains to the DNS system on a daily basis.

Setting up Cloudflare with an extra domain is difficult because of DNS requirements. When using Cloudflare's DNS, it does not point directly to your account here at cPanel. This means that cPanel throws a fit when you try and add your domain because it does not point to the IP address of your account here. Since admins here are not willing to add exceptions in /etc/ip.remotedns to allow for Cloudflare's DNS, setting up domains here can take forever. Pretty much, end user must switch to HelioHost name servers or at least set up A records pointing to the appropriate IP address here. Then once waiting 24 hours for DNS to propagate they can add their domain and wait 48 hours. Finally, transfer their DNS back to CloudFlare and wait another 24 hours for DNS to propagate.

Helionet will not work as intended with CloudFlare because of dynamically changing content (posts, server load graphics, etc).