OpenOffice.org 2.0.3

OpenOffice.org is the open source project through which Sun Microsystems is releasing the technology for the popular StarOffice productivity suite. It is an international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format. It establishes the necessary facilities to make this open source technology available to the developer community.

Latest Changes:

* Performance improvements: for example, a 23 percent improvement in certain Calc benchmarks

* Further improvements to file format compatibility with Microsoft Office files

* New email integration features for users wanting to send emails in Microsoft file formats

* More control over how exported PDF documents will display when opened in a PDF reader

* Support for more languages and improvements in hyphenation and thesaurus

* Support for Intel architecture for Mac OS X plus improved Mac OS X System integration

* Built-in check for updated versions

OpenOffice.org: Home

FileForum | OpenOffice.org for Windows

FileForum | OpenOffice.org for Linux

FileForum | OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X

For those looking for more frills, OpenOffice.org Premium is a free and open source enhancement of official OpenOffice.org plus some Extras for you to use. The Hungarian Native Language Team has modified the source of OpenOffice.org and bundled lot of extras with it.

Few of the extras you get with OpenOffice.org Premium:

* Clip Art (currently more than 2,400 objects)

* Templates (number varies by language)

* Samples (number varies by language)

* Documentation (if available)

* Fonts (more than 90 fonts) Changes in version 2.0.2

* added extra fonts

* added samples

* added templates

* added clipart

Download for Windows

Homepage of developers

Why shell money on MS Office when alternative is there???

• 1 month later...

I downloaded it two weeks ago. And it works as well as MS Office. However, I haven't explored all the features yet.

When you download it you can make a little survey to tell why you want to use OpenOffice. They give you several options to answer. I chose "Because it's not Microsoft" :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love openoffice.. It is a GREAT open source office solution. But then again, OpenOffice doesn't have super much publicity, so most people won't know what it is. They think that Word is THE word processor when it's not.

I answered "It's not microsoft" on that one survey question too :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't say that one is better than the other but OpenOffice is free and that's the deciding factor for most people. XD

They both do work really well though but I think OO is going to get more support as time goes by just because it offers the same functionality for no price. They may change that and offer a lite version and a pro version but if that happens, I can always just keep the older one. :P