[Solved] Increased Web Space For Forum Posts ?

Do you require more space?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Hmmm ...

The free TLD for forum posts is awesome guys :) Really really love it :)

I had a little Idea that I'd like to share :) You guys could also offer more & extended web-space for forum posts :) Like for every 100 posts you get a 100 or 200 Mb free web-space. This will increase forum posts ( more advertisement money ) & will help improve support :)

I like this idea . .indeed anything that would expand my storage limits. .

I'm presently reconstructing my sites having fallen foul of the 30 day login limit while away travelling. . .

I'm using Heliohost for three related projects, each with approriate subdomains, and each using Movabletype and Drupal.

The latter uses a single codebase with separte databsaes for each project, ,

Before my little disaster I was already close to the 250Mb limit, and this was before starting seriously to add content.

I'm hoping to host numbers of image galleries and also to encourage visitors to contribute content, so increased storage is rapidly going to become a necessity. .

Although I appreciate the idea of linking storage allocations to one's contributions to the forum and to Heliohost generrally, I wonder if any other users would, like me, be happy to cough up a modest sum to cover extra storage and perhaps also to be exempted from the 30day timeout.

I'm a professional coder, committed to FLOSS software development and so Heliohhost was a natural choice as it offers an excellent service, and I ,like other users here, have no need for( expensive) support while developing. I've found the forums very helpful in dealing with specific technical issues as they arise.

I wonder what sort of timescales would apply were the good folks of Heliohost( respect to DJBob and Byron and colleagues) to decide to allow users to use more space . .

All the best.

My opinion: If my site(s) need more space than the 250mb allocated, it is time to look for hosting elsewhere. If you have that much space taken up with just your files and such, you need to look at how your site is designed and change it. There is no way any user of your site will want to load 200+mb of files. Heliohost is great for development and startup websites, but by the time you get enough traffic to have filled up your space allocation, it is time to look at paid hosting elsewhere.

HelioHost will forever be free with no paid options. That is how djbob, the root admin, has chosen to run this service.

It makes sense too because at the moment HelioHost is the only web host that occupies this particular niche. I understand that a lot of people love it here and wish they could upgrade as their site grows and stick with us out of loyalty. However, there are literally hundreds of thousands of hosts that offer paid options, hundreds of free hosts that offer severely limited features or are downright scams, but HelioHost is the only free host that actually delivers what it promises without any weird games or catches.

HelioHost will forever be free with no paid options. That is how djbob, the root admin, has chosen to run this service.

It makes sense too because at the moment HelioHost is the only web host that occupies this particular niche. I understand that a lot of people love it here and wish they could upgrade as their site grows and stick with us out of loyalty. However, there are literally hundreds of thousands of hosts that offer paid options, hundreds of free hosts that offer severely limited features or are downright scams, but HelioHost is the only free host that actually delivers what it promises without any weird games or catches.

Wisely said :)

I've been searching for a good free host for 2 years but couldn't find one cause everyone is interested in getting paid users so they don't give the needed attention to free hosting :(

Hmm... I'd say we have enough space on both Stevie and Johnny right now to increase limits to 500 MiB. Unfortunately, the process of increasing disk limits is a slow and disk-I/O-heavy one. I'll see if I can figure out a time to do it in the future.

250 Mb seems to be enough for me for now, but yes, 500 mb does sound a little nicer.

My opinion: If my site(s) need more space than the 250mb allocated, it is time to look for hosting elsewhere. If you have that much space taken up with just your files and such, you need to look at how your site is designed and change it. There is no way any user of your site will want to load 200+mb of files. Heliohost is great for development and startup websites, but by the time you get enough traffic to have filled up your space allocation, it is time to look at paid hosting elsewhere.

And if you need to host files that are quite large, just put them up elsewhere and add the link, right? Then it won't cost (nearly) any space here and the server won't be overloaded.